Student anxiety

I try to "break the ice" prior to any calls. Asking them a series of questions from how many clinicals they have been on, EMS experience, and a bit of a quiz to see what level they are at, etc.

I advise them if they are on their team leads than I will be more like their partner and it is their call to run. However they have to run it or I am going to speak up and take lead. I have some students freeze up, leaving the patient unsure about what is going on. I advise them that if I take over that they are more than encouraged to jump in and take the lead.

If they freeze than asign a skill, ask questions to get their gears rolling again. I look forward to having students, just relax and give them a chance. Your in a whole other role as a preceptor, sometimes its hard to get out of the driver's seat.

Sent from my Samsung Note Tab with Tapatalk HD

Edited by speedygodzilla

I have had a variety of FTO and preceptors over the years in nursing and EMS. One of the best things I have seen done was at the end of the rotation/shift, they would ask if they could have done anything different. It shows a real willingness to learn on the preceptors part and provides good feedback on how they are doing as a teacher.

I also like speedy's recommendation and that of others who have posted. Best of luck to you and let us know how things go and if you used any of the suggestions here :)

Doing skills isn't the only thing that students need to learn while in your care.

I too would never trust vitals on a critical patient taken by a student, or a newer medic, or Fire, or anyone but me or a trusted partner that I had experience with. There's no shame there. At least if we're both using 'critical' to mean in imminent danger of losing their life. I once ran on a home invader that had his right arm nearly severed by a shotgun. I let a student start IVs, pack the wound, push narcs, etc. Other than his dangling arm and being really pissed off for being shot "for no reason" (as he had a knife, not a gun) I was confident that he wasn't trying to die. And for the record his condition led to my decisions, not a desire for inferior care secondary to the cause of his injury.

With skills, there should be about a bazillion to one ratio of critical patients to non critical patients that they can practice on.

Set them to doing something menial on the critical patients, printing out ECG to examine, bagging, holding pressure, prepping equipment if you want..Something that allows them to participate, but still have some mental energy to expend on observation.

But allowing them to see a more experienced way to do things while showing that at all times patient priorities overcome any desires of the medic or the student are pretty friggin' valuable things to learn too...They don't stop learning simply because they stopped moving. We set an example, either good or bad, every minute that we are together with them...

If you're apologizing for prioritizing efficient, focused care on a critical patient instead of the student's education then you're cheating them out of perhaps one of the most important lessons to be learned in the back of an ambulance.

• Like 2

If you're apologizing for prioritizing efficient, focused care on a critical patient instead of the student's education then you're cheating them out of perhaps one of the most important lessons to be learned in the back of an ambulance.

This is a super great point.

Thanks everyone!