Anyone have any experience with quick clot?

steve61

I've been researching both Tranexemic Acid and QuikClot and I'd prefer tranexemic Acid. The data supports the drug far better than the dressing. However, now that the risk of burns has been eliminated from the dressing, one could use both!!

n=1 Saw it used in Afghanistan on a person who had been shot in the pelvis and it failed miserably. Ended up packing the wound curlex and holding direct pressure manually while the patient was flown to a military hospital. Haemostatic agents ate not effective if you cannot get to the source of bleeding. I'm not impressed.

The pouches, where they look like gauze pads with pebbles inside, work quite well and fairly quickly. As opposed to arriving at the ER with four bandages and 200 gauze squares on a wound b/c (not more than ten years ago) we had no tourniquets, the BP cuff wasn't good enough and pressure points weren't enough. Since TK's were always a no-no, last resort.. I hate to admit this, but if we HAD to use one.. It was a wooden dowel rod and a cravat. That's just how the protocol was, the only reason to use one, was if the limb wasn't viable, according to the state. No mention if the person was going to bleed to death.

Now there's at least a dozen mechanical TK's on the ambo, prolly six packets of QC and a bunch of those 4" bandages with the blood stopper pads that North American Rescue makes for tactical EMS. Unfortunately that it had to come because of war, but fortunately for EMS, we have a shit load of awesome "tools" to stop bleeding anywhere on the body. It's no longer "oh god, tear me open a bunch of those", or in the case of non-sterile gauze, hand me a good chunk of those. I can recall wrecks out in the boonies where I'd have three people on board - three patients; and at least one would be holding a 4-5" high stack of gauze on a wound b/c you just add more, don't take it off. Common first aid measure taught through the ages, if it bleeds through, add more to the pile. But the more you add, the less pressure you're going to be able to provide. So you're really just making a big sponge.

It's a hand saver. If you need something stifled quick, and you need your hands for something else. Slap it on and wrap it up, move on. I could go on and on. But I won't. I just came on to check my email, and clicked the wrong tab.

• 1 month later...

Might be late on this topic but in regards to QuikClot, I've used the military version "Combat Gauze" before and I'm not actually sure if the clotting agent that they promote (Kaolin) helps or the direct pressure, packing and bandaging is the hero of the two. Either way I've used it before in different situations and had a positive result with them.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.