Numb foot

mobey

Since our "Dyspnea" patient is long dead, I thought I'd start a new scenario.

The old dawgs here have seen this before (Ya Dwayne... that includes you), so I trust you won't spoil it for the rest.

A 27y/o obeise (230lb) male presents to the ER with runny nose, malaise, and fever. He is having 10/10 pain in his lower back. He is walking semi-hunched over with little steps.

He is given 10mg Morphine, Naproxen, and gravol and scheduled for a CT the next day.

Bloodwork is normal overall with slightly elevated WBC.

Vitals are normal

X-Ray of lumbar is normal..... as interpreted by the smalltown family medicine doc.

The next morning the patient awakens with pain shooting down his right leg and numbness to the bottom of his right foot.

• Like 2

MRI? I know when my Discs in neck acting up my fingers buzz and go numb.

Sciatic Nerve?

Edited by MariB

Significant trauma? Which came first, the back pain or the fever?

A herniated disc causing pressure on the sciatic nerve could cause the foot problem, but I'm thinking the fever and elevated white blood count are significant...

Infection causing pressure on the sciatic nerve?

What does the CT show?

The CT is cancelled, he is being transferred to a big city centre to be assessed by neuro and expedited CT.

2 Years ago he did hurt his lower back lifting concrete.

Fever/sniffles came on 2 days prior to backpain.

ASSESSMENT

Pre-existing medical history: Aside from the spinal injury, does this patient have diabetes or anything significant? Has this ever happened before (the pain/numbness)?

Current medications?

Lower back pain relieved by meds?

How much exercise does the patient get?

PHYSICAL EXAM

What does the skin on his affected leg look like?

Intact pulses on his right foot?

Palpation of his lower spine?

Does right leg pain increase on movement or constant?

DDX

DVT or Claudication secondary to - Peripheral Artery Disease or Lumbar Spinal Stenosis?

I believe his WBCs will be elevated due to his sickness and the inflammatory response may or may not be the cause of his symptoms (not good enough at pathophysiology to guess). I believe the signs/symptoms of his leg pain/history, associated back pain, and medical history may tell a lot before he gets the new CT scan.

Thanks for doing this, mobey!

Edited by RSI

Hello,

With a history of malaise (fever, runny nose, fever) he could have GBS.

Back pain, neurovascular compromise of his right leg could be an AAA. What is his BP like?

Cheers

ASSESSMENT

Pre-existing medical history: Aside from the spinal injury, does this patient have diabetes or anything significant? Has this ever happened before (the pain/numbness)? No, No, No

Current medications? Tylenol/Advil PRN for intermittent back pain since hurting it originally

Lower back pain relieved by meds? Somewhat tollerable...... not really. 20MG Morphine IV made it a 3/10

How much exercise does the patient get? Average amount for a laborer

PHYSICAL EXAM

What does the skin on his affected leg look like? Human, and unremarkable :)

Intact pulses on his right foot? Yes

Palpation of his lower spine? will not let you near it out of fear it will hurt

Does right leg pain increase on movement or constant? Constant

DDX

DVT or Claudication secondary to - Peripheral Artery Disease or Lumbar Spinal Stenosis?

I believe his WBCs will be elevated due to his sickness and the inflammatory response may or may not be the cause of his symptoms (not good enough at pathophysiology to guess). I believe the signs/symptoms of his leg pain/history, associated back pain, and medical history may tell a lot before he gets the new CT scan. I believe you may be on the right track

Thanks for doing this, mobey!

ER Doc: No drug use.

Dave: Finally I am starting to think slightly more like you! GBS was also my 1st thought.

His BP is equal bilat.

The patient states the pain is like a electric shock going from his right buttox down to his ankle, then no feeling at all on the bottom of his foot. Ankle reflex is absent.

Now that some pain is decreased you ask him to stand, which he does and can do so unassisted. He is not willing to try walk for fear of falling, and he is unable to bend his knee while standing stating "It feels like my foot is too heavy to get off the floor"

Edited by mobey