Have you heard of this illness?

Sorry I am so late in responding. I've only seen this condition twice in 20 plus years, but if memory serves me right at my advanced age I believe that the arthritis is secondary to an infection in either the gi or urinary systems.

Interesting case point. I wouldn't have thought that swelling in one joint could be related to a "resolved" infection.

As for why, I would have to wonder if some of the infection moved through the lymph system before the pt was given antibiotics. Then, the body recognized it after the primary infection was resolved. It then attacks what the immune system realizes as a return of that infection causing the swelling and reactive arthritis. Since it sounds like it self resolves, I would think that the body uses this condition to fight off another infection of what has just been resolved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.