Team Focused CPR

fab50gal

Re MAST: Check out the name Brian Watkins. Took over 10 years for FDNY EMS to pull MAST from our ambulances, although they, I think, remain in State of NY protocols.

Mr Watkins was stabbed in the chest during a robbery. Under then existing NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS protocols, he was placed in a MAST, and the 3 sections were inflated by the responding crews. So called "Autotransfusion" did happen, but he bled out from the chest wound, of the blood so autotransfused. Protocols were changed that MAST would not be used for thorasic puncture wounds.

Sometime after 1996, the EMS, now under control of the FDNY, removed the MAST from all our ambulances.

MAST isn't a station, nor an option for a random at NR skills stations, at least for paramedic.

I've proctored several of them, so I'm pretty confident about this...

good to know. We had to know them inside and out as a possible option . Of course we were told that with everything

MAST is not tested at any level (AEMT/PM) of the registry psychomotor exam process. I left out EMT because a formal registry test site no longer occurs when testing the EMT but rather a state certified examination of skills

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for responses. Please keep them coming. We began the Team Focused CPR March 15, 2013 and have had 3 ROSC. Two have already returned home and the other should be released some time this week or next. Amazing results. I've been in EMS a very long time and haven't have never seen this kind of success before. I am attaching our protocol. Please realize it is a guideline and there are circumstances when the patient has to be moved. I'm also including a link to a video that one of the services in our system has made that is used in the RACE CARS training.

Just mentioning in passing, as a part of EMS Week observation, the FDNY holds a brunch where the EMTs and Paramedics have a meal, and photo-op, with their ROSC patients. A few years ago, the NY Post showed 2 of the Paramedics from my station, each kissing a lady, from around the corner from my house, on the cheeks, at what is known as the "Second Chance Brunch"

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.