NREMT-P recertification

Hi,

I am not living in the US at the moment but am trying to keep myself registered as a NREMT-Paramedic.

My question is if I complete a recgonised refresher program and additional training approved by the NR can I still get recertified? or do I need to be working for a US service?...I am currently working for a service in the UK.

Has anyone tried to recertify but been based oversea`s and working for a non US service?

Thx guys!

If you read the requirements for recertification at www.nremt.org, you will see that you must be actively working where your ALS skills are being utilized - it doesn't specify where. Are you using your advanced skills while working outside of the US? If you satisfy the requirements, will your medical director sign off for you?

1. Be actively working within an emergency medical service, rescue service, or patient health care facility using your ALS skills.

2. Complete all requirements prior to March 31.

3. Complete the recertification report in its entirety and submit the completed report prior to March 31.

4. Demonstrate continued cognitive (knowledge) competency through continuing education or examination.

If you recert by exam, how many chances do you get. ONE

Exam Option

Certified EMS professionals may make one attempt to demonstrate continued cognitive competency by taking an examination (in lieu of documenting continuing education) within six months of their expiration date (October 1 through March 31).

As I mentioned, all of this can be found on their website.

Toni

• Like 1

i did.....they said go inactive but I am not sure if the person I was talking too knew what i was talking about!

Could I recertify by exam...and if so how many chances do I get?

i am also getting told different things by other people!

I understand you're frustrated. But you're asking the wrong people by asking us.

The definitive answers to National Registry related questions will be the people at National Registry. If you're not satisfied that the person you're speaking to is understanding your question then ask to speak with that person's boss. If you're getting different answers from different people at National Registry then ask to speak to someone higher up.

When you get a definitive answer please come back and tell us what they told you.

Or you could, as Toni pointed out, simply look at their website.

Another consideration is the fact that the NREMT-P is being phased out and you will in the next cycle or two have to take an officially recognised paramedic transition course or risk having your credential dropped down to AEMT. The course requirements vary from state to state, but such a course may be difficult to find overseas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.