ok I didn't want to sound dumb

MariB

Thoughts and prayers from here too!

When I went to paramedic school, AAS Paramedic medicine, I had a 50hr per week committment to work. Of course, I'm married to an angel, so that helps, but still. About an hour, hour fifteen depending on traffic to school, one hour, or two depending on where I did clinicals.

If you choose to go to any decent program it's going to kick your ass, simple as that. There was a time that I worked 50hrs per week, did 48hrs of clinicals at night, 25hrs of week of school per week, and still studied several hours per day. Every...single...day. I don't really remember much about those times...but it is doable, but I'll tell you this right now...in no universe would I ever consider doing it again. There were times, and I swear that this is true, that it made me feel physically ill to open any of my text books.

Oh, hell. The reason for this post. I almost didn't get to start medic school the year I did as the out of state fees were prohibitive. (We'd just moved to the state for personal reasons). But the program director called a few days after the program started and offered me money that was earmarked for the fire depts. I guess most schools have tons of money for the hosemonkeys, and most often all or part of it goes unused. So if your progam guy is offering you free paramedic school, it could be that something like that is in play.

An update from Mari's Facebook.

The infectious disease control doctor and
pulmonologist have both agreed, they believe my daughter has a fungal
infection in her lungs called histoplasmosis.

Most people that get it, cough, get over it. Rarely, they can get much worse, like
she did. She presented like pneumonia so it was treated like
pneumonia. Well as time went on, things got worse. The doctor checked
her for a few fungals while in the
hospital the first time. The results take a while and it came back
positive on Thursday. They repeated the culture to verify, but started
treatment right away. Unfortunately, the courses of antibiotics have
taken their toll. An has an infection in her colon has set in and she
has CDiff. Which caused he spike in white blood cells and fever.

Thanks kat for updating, I've been too busy.

She's declined a bit. Switching meds for c diff as they are worried about her colon expanding. Making her drink hi protein shakes to get something in the colon. If she doesn't take them, going to tube feed.

What a difference a few days makes!!!!

She ate today. A ham sandwich and chips.

She's doing fantastic. No pain. First time in months,!

The c diff is under control but medication isn't pleasant.

The histoplasmos is really what both specialties are certain of. Not too uncommon for area, rare but it happens. Especially since she is so outdoorsy.

They tested her for every autoimmune disease possible, hoping she didn't get it due to one, those were normal, so when she is strong enough to go home, I will take her home.

I'm nervous since we have had false recoveries before, but I have to have faith in this place.

Thanks for your thoughts and well wishes

I guess I never mentioned something didn't seem right after her bronch. Took her to er with chest pain. Wbc was 26000. Pulse 178. Doc excused it from invasion of scope. Pain killers, continue levaquin, sent home.

Few hours later I was jerked awake, was sleeping in loving room with her. Moaning, she was vomiting, severe diarrhea and I didn't feel right. At that point in time I had a choice. To take her to local er, or drive her 2 hours to one she is at. My concern was she wouldn't make it.

She was altered, feverish, and rating pain at a 9.

Bp was low, pulse high, clammy... she was getting shocky.

Went to er, the NP called MD back. NP wanted to transfer her before. He took blood again and her WBC was now 38000 with 5 bands in less than 8 hours. Pulse 170. Bp 80/60. Only verbal was moaning.

He called ambulance to transfer with ALS, however I was on as one of the staff, so had to make some calls to find another driver and they were off.

She has been here since Saturday lat night /Sunday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

She is almost back to normal. After being so Ill I guess it will take some time. She lost about 30 lbs so she is skin and bones, a bit weak yet but back in school. The medication caused her to ache all over like severe aches but that's subsided some.

She has another ct scan next week and a liver tox screen.

All in all she is doing well. One thing I will say, it was good I had taken the class to recognize she was shocky. Severe dehydration from cdiff, having to fast the night and day before for her bronch, she was going down hill fast. 2 emergency room visits just several hours apart took her from stable to unstable

All in all she is good, she will get an incomplete until her preceptership is done then should be on track to start her adn year on time

• Like 1