Thank You to All First Responders Out There

Hi Everyone,

I really wanted to get this out, but I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm new (but only posting once).

I'm currently in high school and I've been having a lot of uncontrollable seizures which have required medical attention at least 8 times, so as you can imagine, I've met a lot of paramedics/emts/firefighters. I just wanted to thank all the EMTs, paramedics, and firefighters who devote their lives to helping others. I'm sorry that you guys don't get as much appreciation as you deserve. But, I'm so grateful for the paramedics who once saved my life, and for everyone else too (even those i haven't met).

I wanted to let you know that as a result of all the amazing first responders, I'm inspired to be at least an EMT (and maybe eventually a paramedic or doctor) but I've got to finish high school first.

Anyways, you all are amazing and cool people! I wish you all the best in life, and keep doing the awesome things you do. Don't lose hope when people aren't thankful, because you can be rest assured there is someone out there like me who appreciates everything you do and can't wait until they are old enough (21) to be an EMT.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope this put a smile on your faces!

• Like 1

Thank you for posting. So many times we never see the patient again to hear how they are doing.

Stick around, be nice to hear how you are.

Most places only require you to be 18 for EMT.

In some places you can earn your EMT-B certification as young as 16 years. It all depends on local rules.

It's true that some medics don't like working with younger partners. It's also true that some medics don't like working with older partners. You don't get to choose your partner. This is also reflective of life as a whole. You will meet some people you instantly get along with. You will meet some people you instantly dislike. You still have to deal with those people. It happens. So you make the best of the situation and you do what *you* need to do in order reach the goals you have set for yourself.

As a teenager, you're going to have a hard time getting hired to work as an EMT. For insurance purposes related to driving look to be 21 or older before you stand a decent chance at being hired. If you have a volunteer component to your local EMS agency look to ride as a third for a while to help get some exposure and earn some experience. This can help you long term if you choose to stay in EMS. It can help you long term as far as developing a mature outlook on life, something you probably have more than your peers given your experiences to date, even if you decide not to stick with or even enter EMS.

Keep hangin' in there.

• Like 1

This did put a smile on my face and thank you for your appreciation. It's always nice to get some positive feedback every once and a while :) Stick with EMS it's a blast. I joined my first volunteer department at 16 and it's been an amazing ride the past 10 years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.