Needing encouragement

Tsd_emt

Have you tried talking to anyone? Someone from your station maybe or a professional counselor/therapist? EMS is a very stressful job and departments "should" have resources available to you.

I am very sorry you're going through this. Some tips I have are avoid alcohol and drugs, they don't help I promise. Try and do something for your self, go for a walk, go see a movie, whatever it is you need to distract yourself from the stressors. And please please please talk to someone.

Do NOT handle this alone. That is the best advice I can give you. YOu are NOT an island nor a city alone. There are hundreds of providers who are going through the same thing you are going through even right now.

Talking to someone professionally trained does not make you less of a provider.

I've known many providers, Myself included who have gone the route of talking to a professional. My need arose after I worked a child who had been horrifically injured by his mother and father. It never goes away but it gets better when you talk to someone. I still have nightmares of that child and his injuries which days later took his life.

You cannot deal with this alone so talk to someone.

TSD: What everyone else has offered is 100% right on the money.

In this profession we sometimes see some horrific things and the human mind is not designed to handle these at times. Talking it out with someone who is not connected with the incidents is often a smart thing to do. there is no shame in this.

What I strongly recommend is to NOT rely completely on someone who works in EMS. Those often are NOT the right people to talk to. They may have seen it and can relate but they really are not equipped to help you with the significant issues such as sleep deprivation, nightmares and other related psychiatric issues.

A professional you can talk to is best suited to do this.

Otherwise the advice above is good.

The only advice I can give is group thearpy. I've done it and I know this sounds cheesy, but it literally saved my life.

Are you talking CISD? Or structured group therapy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.