EMS and your back

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I'm 22yo and I've had 2 back injuries exactly 1 year apart. Both primarily from lifting. The first one had a little more to it because the weather was bad and in the middle of a snow storm and was the more severe.

Its definately not an easy field for the back and body.

• 2 weeks later...

I always joke that I have the back of a 95 year old. All because my first few months were filled with meals on the fly and a lot of inactivity in my off time. Once I hit the gym, burned off the fat and started rebuilding muscle I've noticed a huge change in my lifts and less back pain. I try and do every lift with my legs, tightening the abs and keeps the back straight. Of course there are times when this may not be possible and I try to work around it without hurting myself. When moving patients from one bed to another I always try and use a slider board. Ferno makes a smaller version that can be stored under the mattress on the cot. Also, transfer belts are a bonus too.

• 5 months later...

EMS and back pain go hand in hand. I have been doing this for 2 years- completing my 3rd i go the a chiropractor every other day and currently have trouble sleeping due to the intense pain i sometimes get. If you wanna do EMS wear a back brace- I wish i did.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had three years private ambulance work followed by 25 years working a paramedic ambulance for a public first-responder agency. I never had to go off duty with a back injury. I did feel injury many times but nothing that prevented working. I attribute my 'luck' to learning proper lifting techniques before working in the field. Learn 'body mechanics' well and you will have a better chance of avoiding serious injury. NEVER hesitate to ask for assistance no matter how much someone whines about having to help you. Always refer to it as a "safety" matter and it will shut most supervisors up.

Since you have a documented back problem/injury, many companies/agencies will disqualify you. Workman's compensation being what it is, they don't want to pay for a previous injury when it is aggrivated on in their employment. Sometimes it isn't fair but then life isn't fair.

I do notice that in retirement, I pretty much have a 'background' level of discomfort in my back. Part of that may be due to letting myself get 'out of shape' now that I am not working in the field.

Good luck.

• 11 months later...

Well for what its worth I had back surgery 5 years ago in Feb. They fused L4 and L5 by taking bone off of my left hip and I have 2 "U Bolts" on either side of my spine. The damage came from so many years in the funeral business lifting the stiff ones by myself and wrestling them onto the embalming table by myself. Once I recovered fully from my surgery I have been able to do anything I want. I lift those 300 pounders and pick them up off the floor. Granted I only work part time I still do my share of lifting and have had no problems. Like others I am sore at the end of the shift but I think that in part to your back not getting enough rest because your busy for 24 hours. It can be done with back problems, just remember you only have one back and you want to take care of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.