Legal, Medical, Ethical Question - Emancipation

Even if the patient is obviously pregnant? In my experiences, most states allow emancipation once the minor has a confirmed pregnancy.

yes, even if obviously pregnant. Case being that unfortunately there are 11 and 12 year olds who get pregnant etc, this doesn't make them any more capable of making informed decisions.

And let's not forget, that many parents will go to court to keep their children from being emancipated so unless you truly have court paperwork in your hands on a kid that claims that they are emancipated, do not believe them.

Grey area on the pregnancy thing but I have a famliy friend who's daughter (14 got pregnant) claimed she was emancipated and the parents went to court to block her emancipation and the court agreed with the parents of the daughter. Felt that it was in the daughters best interest that she NOT be emancipated even though she was pregnant.

Once she gave the baby up for adoption, she petitioned the court for emancipation and the court said "you do not have custody of your child, and even though you had a child, you are not caring for that child so your emancipation is denied" That was the best thing to ever happen to this girl. She's now in college studying pharmacy.

I have enjoyed the EMT program I am in. We have has physicians for some lectures, ob nurses for the OB and neonatal section and module etc. And for legal and ethics we had the county attourny who used to specialize in medical malpractice. He loves to give lectures and is good at it.

He was adamant about telling us it is close to impossible to be emancipated in the state of Iowa and unless papers are in hand, we contact legal guardians.

He was very interesting to listen to.

I have enjoyed the EMT program I am in. We have has physicians for some lectures, ob nurses for the OB and neonatal section and module etc. And for legal and ethics we had the county attourny who used to specialize in medical malpractice. He loves to give lectures and is good at it.

He was adamant about telling us it is close to impossible to be emancipated in the state of Iowa and unless papers are in hand, we contact legal guardians.

He was very interesting to listen to.

That is exactly what I am saying, unless I have papers in hand, I'm not taking the word of a 14 year old girl or boy. For a girl it's a little more cut and dried on their end if they have some rug rat running up to them calling them Mommy

There is a fine difference between being emancipated and being considered able to make your own medical decisions when you are pregnant. Even a pregnant 17 year old cannot enter into a business contract. I think the laws specifically deal with their medical decision making.

• 3 months later...

What is the big hangup with age and consent in the usa medic forums? If a person can understand the tx, the benefits, risks, alternatives and consequences of not getting it then age is no factor. If the pt can provide informed consent then there is no issue, just document. Now the approach for a 12 y/o will be different than one for a 15 or 16 y/o but the idea is the same. Btw where i live any person of any age can go get health services at the local public health dept, including reproductive healthcare such as oc's or other contraceptive methods, pregnancy tests, counselling and plan B emerg contraception

What is the big hangup with age and consent in the usa medic forums? If a person can understand the tx, the benefits, risks, alternatives and consequences of not getting it then age is no factor. If the pt can provide informed consent then there is no issue, just document.

Now the approach for a 12 y/o will be different than one for a 15 or 16 y/o but the idea is the same.

Btw where i live any person of any age can go get health services at the local public health dept, including reproductive healthcare such as oc's or other contraceptive methods, pregnancy tests, counselling and plan B emerg contraception

because in the US if you treat someone illegally you lose your license
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.