Paramedics With Drug Problems

Just wondering how you guys handle this. A medic was recently found acting "altered" while on-duty, and was sent for a drug screen that he failed. The rumor mill has it that he tested positive for many substances, which may or may not be true. Anyhow, I thought my employer would report this to our "State" (governing body -- not Natl Reg), but they opted not to, citing their lawyer's opinion that going after this person's livelihood could produce reprocussions. What does your company do, do you just let them go to the next employer and hope they do a pre-employment drug screen ? The chances of this person getting a local job is not likely (rumor mill), but if goes to another state or a distant location in our state, he might be practicing while high again.

Is the person protected by a union or civil service contract? How it is handled is usually documented in the contract or bargaining agreement.

It sounds as if the RUMOR MILL has already convicted the possible offender without due process.

Unless the person was found to be legally altered or in violation of state statute then it's nothing more than supposition on your part.

How do you know that it wasn't reported and the proper channels followed? Oh I know::: the rumor mill!

In most cases an employee with a substance problem is offered assistance and medical treatment, unless a crime has occured. Think EAP programs.

Be careful about any involvement in the rumor mill, you could be found liable for slander and end up getting sued.

Many states have rehab programs for health care providers (and I believe EMS providers are covered by that definition). There are facilities and programs out there designed to assist health care providers deal with, and overcome, their addiction so that their licensure/certification is not affected to avoid the loss of a job.

The brother of a friend of mine is currently in a program like this. He's a pharmacist. Once he is out of rehab he will still be eligible for employment as a pharmacist with exceedingly strict follow up requirements including random drug testing at least three times per week. In patient and out patient support is excellent. But he won't lose his license.

Locally, if a health care provider is suspected of or confirmed to be abusing substances it is the responsibility of the employer to refer the employee to such a program. Failure to do so leads to legal action against the employer. Refusal of the employee leads to termination of employment and licensure/certification.

Please research such programs in your state for the benefit of this employee and your employer. A simple phone call to the state could probably yield some helpful information. A proper referral and follow up as a result of such a phone call can wind up saving an awful lot of time, money and possibly lives in the long run.

• Like 1

We've got several medics who have undergone rehab and returned to the system. I honestly believe that a permanent ban from practise is a heavy handed and unreasonable response.

• Like 2

Artickat hit the nail on the head. Paramedic's as a profession is rare, I also know at least in my area, there is 4 ALS provider services within around 200 sq miles. The other night I responded out of the city for a ALS MVA and it was a 45 minute ride out there. Paramedic's need to be kept. If we start to eliminate Medic's, well... I feel like we would run out! haha.

Unfortuanetly, those resorces and programs cost money, and unless you are well ensured, frequently you are out of luck.

I grew up around a lot of drug use and abuse as a child. Also as some of the older people on here may recall, I had a friend of mine who was a medic end up addicted. As a result of her addiction, she had a rather horrible and unsual death, and due to the circumstances her issues became quite public. I also had my best friend overdose on cocaine and dilaudid in 2002 as well. What these things have taught me that we ALL ...each and every one of us..are suceptal to addiction. In fact my best friend told me a week before he died..."We all have our addictions. All of us. Each and Every one. For some its drugs, or alcohol. Others, its work, or women. But we all are addicteed to something. Some just manage it better than others. Some are in recovery. Some arnt. "

I have thought about that many times over the years. The issue is far froom black and white. And while a "one strike and your out" seems reasonable, until you yourself have been touched or seen others touched by addiction on a personal level. Until you have seen the struggles.

I agree with Artikcat that there has to be some way "back" from addiction, some goal, or why bother with recovery? Too many good people are lost to addiction as it is. If they can get the help they need, and are independantly determined to be safe to return to work..then perhaps we should consider it on a case by case basis. There are some who can come back , and some who should not be given the chance.

Where do you draw the line? I think its safe to say you draw the line when their actions directly adversely impacted the safety of a patient or co-worker. Swapping narcotics with saline. A medical error. Wrecking an EMS vehicle. Up to that point....perhaps some careful consideration can be made.

Not an easy answer...

We've got several medics who have undergone rehab and returned to the system. I honestly believe that a permanent ban from practise is a heavy handed and unreasonable response.

With nursing it is usually a multi-year suspension/probation with rehab or permanent ban. If you test positive for non prescription meds that could be acquired from the hospital you are almost always permanently banned, even for first offenses.

It's not common, but it certainly happens around here. With Paramedics still being a non-regulated health profession in Ontario, issues of certification related to this are still handled by the Base Hospital in conjunction with the employer. Any medic I know of who has been in this position has been told to seek treatment and counselling and after a leave on disability has returned to work eventually. I can only think of one somewhat notorious local case where a medic was a repeat offender and wasn't allowed to continue to practice. Unfortunately with the nature of the work you can't just restrict and monitor narcotic access.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.