Hi All

Roby777

Would just like to say hi to everyone here, I'm about halfway through my EMT class and look forward to getting into EMS.

I am here to learn from vets and keep up on current issues in EMS

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

welcome to the city I know you will be able to get any question you may have answered here.

Whenever we have a welcome thread I always want to see someone be like that old crotchity guy that you see in the movies that just grunts unapprovingly when the new guy is introduced to the group. Then someone chimes in and says to ignore him, he's just old and crazy. And then he goes on a tangent about how in his day things were different and that, "these youngins today would never has survived out on the box like we did. Grrr."

Edited by ERDoc

Damn you Emergentologist; I am going to have to chew down some more lorazepams now ... and just as I was getting them weaned ... oh who am I kidding, why in the fuck would I want to do that, lorazepams smooth out the day nicely especially when dealing with douchebag hospitals in US for patient records and things like actually wanting to speak to the Doctor, can take days to weeks or just never happen, you call some squalor hospital in Calcutta where the patient is having blood letting done for his dropsy and the Doctor is straight on the phone, telling me his symptoms, investigations, diagnosis, how many leeches he is using, what colour, size and wriggle factor they have, how much blood has been let, the lab values of that blood and what his plan is for the patient, then he gives you his cellphone number to call him if you need and then emails you as well, meanwhile in US you get somebody who just laughs at you when you ask to talk to the Doctor and offers to put you onto the RN, NP, PA, LVN, LPN or some other fucked up non doctor person if they can page them and that might take two hours and just never eventuate ... and its easier to just get fucked up on valiumz and deal with the health care system in India, Thailand, South Africa or honestly? ... any country that is not US! ... I do like the 40 page ED discharge notes though that contain what the patient did every day of their life prior to setting foot in the hospital, and what happened every second they were in the hospital and who was there, who was not there, why they were there, who ordered it, why they ordered it, and every other fucking excruciating detail imaginable and then tacked on the back is the $200,000 bill ... I am not even kidding you, last week I had a patient with a bill of over $100,000 for a 2 night stay and she didn't even have surgery or nothing ... Jesus H Shit on a stick Emergentollgist, if I need valiumz to just deal with the system from my level how is it you are not dead from some sort of massive chronic polypharmacy poisoning having to actually work there?

And lets not even get into the typical line of conversation when one of my patients is still being worked up in ED

"Hello this is Joe, you want to talk to me?"
"Yes, thank you for speaking, are you the House Surgeon or the Registrar?"
"No, this not surgery"
"OK, are you the House Officer or the Registrar?"
"The Registrar is sitting on the front desk"
"Can I speak to them about this patient please then?"
"Why?"
"Because I need to speak to the Registrar"
"Hang on"
"Hello Registrar?"
"Yes Registrar, thanks for speaking with me today, can you tell me about this patients presenting complaint, investigation, diagnosis and plan?"
"I don't know"
"Aren't you the Registrar?"
"Yes"
"And are you this patients Registrar?"
"Yes, well, I am for all the patients"
"So you have worked this patient up?"
"Um, I'm not the Doctor"
"Oh ... you said you were the Registrar, can I talk to the House Officer?"
"What?"
"The Doctor"
"You were just talking to him"
"Can I talk to him again please?"
"He is busy now, he will be free in five hours, let me transfer you to somebody else ...."

Hmmm * whips out that handy ERDoc to English Translator

"Can I talk to the Intern, Resident or Attending Physician please?"
"Sure let me find somebody!"

True story ....

Edited by Kiwiology

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.