EMS Crisis patient

• 2 weeks later...

Defuse, seek exits, look for weapons that can be used to defend self if you have to make a dive for it...

I agree with Dwayne's post about the comparison of "drunk"- how violent is this guy? Oriented? Deranged? Twitchy? Likely to shoot by accident? In control of self? Responding to internal stimuli? Making demands/expressing needs?

Personally, I'd probably sit on the floor (harder angle to shoot at) and be ready to crawl for a window/door at the first available opportunity. In an active threat situation, I have to safeguard my own safety first, then my partner, then the individual making the threat... if I can get a door/objects between myself and the psycho, I'm going to try to...

If he looks like he's escalating, use any object near to hand and try to incapacitate, before I get shot.

Ugh. Nightmare scenario this. Final answer: Do the best you can, and hope you make it out alive...

Wendy

RN-ADN

CO EMT-B

I have wondered how I might react in such a situation. My thoughts are that I'd just walk out. I know it is a gamble that he might shoot me trying to "walk out", but the longer I stay and play with the aggressor, I fell it more likely to get shot. I'd probably just throw the bag down, say something along the line of "fine, have the damn narcotics, I don't care" and in the meantime be waking out the door like "ain't nobody got time for that !" Of course, this posting is only proving to show my ignorance of a situation of that caliber... (Hey, my first EMT City Pun !!!)

Of course if that doesn't work, or I cannot escape, then I may just have to go all .... (play video)

on him. (For those not familiar with Leeroy Jenkins, he yells out his name before going into battle)

Anyways, it just seems logical to get out ASAP to me. At the point of being threatened, his demands are not my biggest concern. I would just try to get out. I really wouldn't feel too bad about leaving my EMT partner inside either, cuz, ya know, they are supposed to save paramedics and all.... Just sayin'... :wave:

• Like 1

I've been on the wrong end of a handgun 3 times, but none of them were on the job. I'm a chatterbox talker, normally, but with the gun in my face, I turn into "silent Sam".

FYI, that first time, in 1974, was just after I started volunteering, and had the 0000-0600 shift. I had just come in, the previous crew left, leaving me with a stranger in the office. The gunman turned out to be a cop working a plain-clothes detail, and he "shot" me with a starter's pistol. I fainted! When I regained conciousness, I heard the bastard say, "Oh, SHIT, I used the wrong gun!" The crew I had just relieved knew he was a cop, but didn't own up until after I stopped shaking.When they told me, and seeing him outside the office, I used my entire "blue language" vocabulary in a shriek to the skies, on one breath.

Second time was a too playful co-worker, on an IFC private ambulance service, with a starter's pistol. By the time other employees caught up with me, I was already a half mile away, and still at a dead run.

The third time was a robbery in the stairwell of "Lady J's" apartment building. Both of us robbed, by 2 gunnmen with handguns with apatures looking only slightly smaller than the entrance to the Queens Midtown Tunnel's north tube. I still have bad reactions to those types of enclosed staircases, and the incident was over 20 years ago.

Unfortunately a similar situation is currently unfolding outside of Atlanta where five firefighters responding to a call are currently being held hostage. I have no additional details at this point.

hostage taker is dead, one firefighter is injured and I believe a deputy was shot as well.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll