7 year old DUI questions

We have to here in the NoDaks and SoDaks. Everywhere I've worked in the past fifteen yrs has required a current copy of my vehicle insurance.....

Does your private insurance need to be notified that you're driving an emergency vehicle? Does your private insurance cover you while you're driving the emergency vehicle? Will premiums for your private insurance go up if you're involved in an incident with the emergency vehicle you're driving?

This is not something I've ever heard of before. I have no idea how this would work legally.

In some states they ask to see that as a means of showing insurability. Basically showing that someone else has checked your driving record and determined your safe to allow to drive a company vehicle & be covered under their insurance.

Clarifications, please:

Personal vehicle insurance required for personal vehicles? Sure.

Personal vehicle insurance required for "company car"? Not the company's insurance on the company car? Or, just showing you are insurable to the company's insurance by showing your own? What if you don't have a POV, just a presumably clean license, due to preference of not wanting your own POV?

Holy hothouse hell batman, am I reading right that in some places you have to have insurance yourself to cover damage to the ambulance you are driving while working? Say it isn't so.

If that's the case, very very slippery slope indeed.

I would avoid working in that agency or jurisdiction like men avoid marrying Liz Taylor.

No!

The companies insurance carrier is just using your insured status to make their risk management dept feel better.

Last time I was asked for it was in CT back 30+ years ago as I was under 25 at the time.

Ah! the old "25 and Under" insurance ploy. 3rd time I fell for it this month. Sorry about that, Chief. Missed it by that much.

Actually, I did fall victim to that one, as I joined my original VAC at age 19, but the founding members had made an agreement with the insurance carrier for no under 25 year old drivers. I don't have access to the "stats", but it must have held up.

In later years, the VAC entered into an informal agreement with the local LEOs, where we'd submit all our Motor Vehicle Operators (note how I didn't say "Ambulance Drivers") license information to be checked through the National Crime Information Center, before we'd submit the names to the insurance company. (Helped that one of our vollies was also a cop!) We'd advise any new applicants we'd be checking them out, If they didn't want to be checked, they didn't get in.

No, he means to get employed; many insurance companies will not cover someone with a DUI (vehicle insurance), which makes you unhireable. Everywhere is different, but 7 years of being clean will help. Most insurance companies frown more upon a 35 year old getting a DUI than a 18-22 year old, but like suggested, the best advice is to go to the employers directly and ask. You may have to start out at a smaller company at worst, until 7 years has passed and its no longer on your record.

Was your DUI a felony? If not insurance through hpso.com should not be an issue.

At my agency, typically we look for about 10 years post DUI. We are a third servic, county run, respected EMS agency in the NW.

We also look at the remainder of your record. It could be 15 years, but if you have 1-2 tickets a year since, you ar'nt getting in. Patterns of behavior are equally important as a single event.

Also, if it was a felony/aggrivated DUI , then you are simply out of luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.