7 year old DUI questions

Hello I got a dui seven years ago and have been on the straight and narrow since and complied with all monitary and legal issues that were involved including a 6 month substance abuse with UA'S and BA'S with none failed and a letter from the therapist stating I do not have any substance abuse problems or alcohol.

Just made a bad decision at the wrong time I know in the EMS field this is cardinal sin it happend when I was 22 I am now 28 and in the middle of EMT-B school after getting out of the U.S Coast Guard for four years and would love to advance in the civilian filed of EMS.

Question is how hard is my battle going to be to get insured I all ready check'd with Indian department of homeland security and the NREMT policy I fall in the classification of minimal risk and will be able to get both certificates but how hard is it going to be for me to get insured ?

Thanks in advance and please no ( you are the worst person in the world stuff for the dui I KNOW I made a mistake and have grown up alot since)

What is the "Indian department of homeland security?"

You may still have problems, but your time with the USCG will only help you, so long as your service record is spotless. Not many can give you a lot of advice on this since it is really up to the individual employers insurance. It's not good but it's not the worst either.

Also, "check'd" and the other various spelling and grammar errors are not going to help you much in EMS. Proper spelling and grammar is a big component of documentation and effective communication.

Where do you want to work? Once you figure that out you need to call some EMS agencies in that area and ask them directly.

Again you will only get anectdotal advice here but you will get solid advice by calling the agencies in the area you wish to work in. The cost to you is simply the cost of a phone call and a little bit of your time.

Are you asking how hard it will be for you to get malpractice insurance? Or what type of insurance? Or are you wondering how hard it will be for you to obtain employment...guess I'm not sure which you are asking.

If it is the job, then I agree with those above, take the time to go and talk to any prospective employers, introduce yourself, be out front about the "incident" and the fact that nothing has happened since, etc.....

If it's insurance, well that's a whole different kettle o fish......

@ Capatain, I am planning on working in both Indiana and Kentucky since I live right on the Ohio river on the Indiana side Just across the river from Louisville. The main company here is AMR and I know I meet there guidelines as far as the other company ( yellow ambulance ) I am not sure so thank you for the advice I will call them this

week.

Are you asking how hard it will be for you to get malpractice insurance? Or what type of insurance? Or are you wondering how hard it will be for you to obtain employment...guess I'm not sure which you are asking.

If it is the job, then I agree with those above, take the time to go and talk to any prospective employers, introduce yourself, be out front about the "incident" and the fact that nothing has happened since, etc.....

If it's insurance, well that's a whole different kettle o fish......

Yes I am talking about the insurance to drive a rig sorry for not being clear.

What is the "Indian department of homeland security?"

You may still have problems, but your time with the USCG will only help you, so long as your service record is spotless. Not many can give you a lot of advice on this since it is really up to the individual employers insurance. It's not good but it's not the worst either.

Also, "check'd" and the other various spelling and grammar errors are not going to help you much in EMS. Proper spelling and grammar is a big component of documentation and effective communication.

Indiana Department of Homeland Security is who handles all of indiana's EMS certifications and guidelines adopted from the NREMT guidelines for license's . My services record is spotless and with plenty of merits for actions on duty. As far as the spelling and grammer this is a forum thanks for the advice though.

Edited by srothig

Big difference between Indiana and Indian though. :) Good luck!

Very true didn't notice it at first, thank you for correcting me and my spelling and grammer will be paid close attention to from now on.

as far as insurability as a driver, most risk management policies require between 5-10 years after a DWI/DUI conviction.

Your serving in the Coast guard shows you have taken responsibility with your life and if the rest of your driving record is clean , shouldn't be a problem getting hired with most companies.

Some companies require a pulse & a patch, others are much more interested in risk management practices, and self insured companies tend to be the strictest in requiring spotless records in a background check, both criminal and driving .

Good luck

I've never heard of individual drivers being required to maintain their own vehicle operator's insurance, at least here in New York State. It's usually under the vehicle insurance carriers for the employing company or vollie group.

I've never heard of individual drivers being required to maintain their own vehicle operator's insurance, at least here in New York State.

We have to here in the NoDaks and SoDaks. Everywhere I've worked in the past fifteen yrs has required a current copy of my vehicle insurance.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.