One lost in rollover

It is with deep sorrow that I am announcing the passing of our beloved ambulance Unit 1410. This ambulance was a 1999 Demers Type II conversion with 517,000kms on it. It was the oldest operational ambulance in our fleet and was used primarily as a mechanical spare and event standby unit. It was also the first ambulance i had ever purchased and I had intended to be buried in it. On Saturday March 2 it was enroute to a standby event when the driver, (lone occupant) encountered a patch of ice and lost control, entered the ditch and rolled. The driver was admitted to hospital overnight for observation of a potential closed head injury.

http://www.emtcity.com/gallery/album/126-1410/

He's home now, just rung his bell pretty good. I gave him a few days off...(with pay) I'll take a closer look at it with the mechanical types, but the insurance company will likely write it off since it's only worth about 5k. However, I may purchase it back and restore it to former glory out of my pocket, maybe, just maybe if it passes safety inspection it might return to service. Although I drove it the 2 miles back to base and it seemed fine, I suspect it has a bent frame.

I am glad my employee is okay too. I wouldn't be making a tongue in cheek obit for my ambulance like this if he'd been badly hurt, or if anyone else had been involved. I will miss my baby tho.

Edited by Arctickat

OMGosh....I remember riding in the back of one of those when it was brand spanking new! I claimed it as my own rig for many yrs and nothing ever compared to it... :(

RIP 1410 and I hope Trevor can bring you back to your former glory.....

P.S. Glad the employee is okay too :) of course!!!

I saw that... :(

It's so frustrating when people think that they HAVE to get out and drive in weather like that!! Truth be told, most people have enough food in their cupboards to last at least a week if it came down to it, but they still have the 'need' to run out and buy milk or some stupid thing that isn't worth losing a life over....

Stay safe "up" there my friend, we are just getting the beginning of the weather now with visibility less than a quarter mile....praying we make it thru w/out a call.....

Nope...wasn't me...but I do know the rig...GSA rig out Eagle Butte. What can you expect from a rig that is put together by the lowest bidder..... :( I can't tell you how many nightmares I've had that happen in........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.