Working for AMR?

Does anyone here work for AMR? What are your thoughts on the company? Do you like your job? I am looking at a possible job through AMR in South Dakota. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Ash

Edited by MedicAsh

the great evil empire, where you are a number that generates them profit until they burn you out to a cinder, or break you. Then it;s please don't let the door hit you in the arse.

Edited by island emt

What part of South Dakota....I may know better companies for you in SD.....watch your backside with AMR because it is all about bringing in the cash for them.....

https://apps.sd.gov/applications/LD10SDWorks_SS_Seeker/SS_Seeker_JO_Details.aspx?job_order_id=1594450&src=0

Here's one for Pierre...

http://hiring.paramedicemtjobs.com/a/jobs/find-jobs/q-EMT+OR+Paramedic/l-south-dakota

Good luck :) Med-Star out of Sioux Falls was looking not very long ago as well....if you want to be busy and get a ton of experience I would recommend working in Rosebud or other reservations.....but it gets tough on the psych after fifteen yrs or more because the conditions will never change... :(

and another one for SD

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/338360100

Edited by ClutzyEMT

I did my clinicals with AMR years back in Colorado Springs and found everything about the way that they ran their business to be inspiring. Smart medics, liberal guidelines, hardcare continuing education, really good managerial support for the street level providers. There were some yahoos that worked there, like anywhere, but in general it was an amazing experience and if I didn't work remote would be proud to work for them in a second.

I'm constantly confused by those that say, "They're all about profit!" How long do you believe that they would be in business if prifit was important to them? At what point did becoming a mega successful business, creating a gazillion jobs, in and of itself make a company evil?

In the Springs you need to put up or shut up. If you're a whacker medic that will come to light and you get booted. If you're a good medic/Basic, and/or want to be a good medic/Basic, then that is a good place to be.

I agree with you Dwayne, they are in it to make money so why wouldn't it be about profit? It's well know that they are not a not-for-profit outfit. To the OP, I think your experience will vary depending on the specific site you work for more than it will on working for AMR in general. My MIL worked for them in NY where all they did was nursing home transports and renal roundup (no 911). As long as you did your work they didn't give you any problems. Your best advice will come from those who have actually worked at the site you are interested in. Good luck.

I work for AMR in Seattle and I absolutely love it. I can't speak for other branches but since the regional manager is located in Seattle (the Dakotas are in the same region as us) I would assume to find a lot of similarities to how we do things here.

Expect good training, frequent training and room for advancement. Yes they are a private, for profit company. So is the healthcare field in general. It costs money to treat people, even fire departments are begining to charge patients.

I love my job, Its all about personal opinion though. It is a union job, Teamsters. Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.