Yet another Introduction post!

TruckEMT

Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm a EMT from North Eastern, PA. I've been an EMT for about a year now, Paid city ALS units primarily. Anyways, I'm going through the process to begin Medic school in the fall, and I have allot of questions! Not only do I have questions, but I'd love to share my experience's with anyone who is thinking about the path I have chosen.

Paid EMT- Volunteer Fireman on primarily a Truck company. and I Volunteer EMS in a more country area nearby. I've been a fireman for 6 years now. I plan on making a career out of emergency services in some way shape or form!

Again, thank's to all those who welcome me, I've been impressed with the content I've found here and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

-Picc

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Picc,

Good luck with your classes in the fall. Does this mean you're getting completely out of the firefighting side of things? If so, why?

• 4 weeks later...

Theres nothing that says you cannot be a FF/Medic but you have to not bow down to the altar of FIRE and you need to really try to be the best medic that you can be. I have many FF/Medic friends who hate the ambulance as well as they also say that the ambulance is a penalty or punishment. They try their hardest to get out of working the ambulance and even they say that they wouldn't want them working on themselves.

If you choose to go down the road as a FF/Medic then it is incumbent on you to really take the job of Medic seriously and not fall into the trap or way of life that permeates many fire departments where EMS is a necessary evil and not a priority.

You are in charge of your future, don't let a fire chief and a bunch of firefighters color your EMS experiences.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.