Protein Powder

buy some good quality yogurt and mix in some fresh fruit, put it in smaller containers that hold 6-8 oz. Then when you need a snack your all set.

We use stoneyfield all natural vanilla, in the quart container & always have some frozen maine blueberrie sand strawberries in the freezer to mix in.

Much less costly than buying individual ready to eat sized containers. Plus it doesn't have all the sugar the ready made fruit yogurts have.

That's a really good idea :) I've been adding greek yogurt and plain granola in the mornings to help give me that boost of energy for the first few hours of my 12 hour clinical rotation... But hadn't thought much of bringing it with me for the mid-day rush. I know a lot of the guys in my class use protein powders to substitute a whole meal when they're on the go.

I think this brings up a good point though, how do we as busy providers continue to eat healthy when really busy? My metabolism isn't what it used to be and I know many are in a similar situation. I've gone to the grocery store and bought celery sticks to eat with peanut butter.

The truth is, there are days as a student I literally have no time to even pee let alone sit down and eat a proper meal.

I think it sounds horribly gross. I picture it like the taste of a powdery fiber supplement. I was taking various supplements and diet pills for a while, natural stuff.. I was never more sick in my life. I melted the fat away alright, and melted it away so often that there was quite a bit of bleeding associated. Not literally from the fat, just from...yanno.. the frequency.

I Walk around the block now.. and in the country..a block isn't like a city block.

I personally like the "Designer Whey" protein powder from Trader Joes. I get the French vanilla and mix a scoop into a 14 oz glass of orange juice and wash down the daily vitamin multipack from Costco. I eat a balanced diet, but often don't make time for breakfast despite the fact I know better. This breakfast in a commuter cup seems to agreeing well with me.

BAYAMedic

I like Mioplex with soy protein. Of course if you have feminoid tendencies it could promote man boobs. I stay away from milk based protein because of arteriosclerosis.

• 3 months later...

There are a lot of protein powders that taste good and do the job. The protein source may vary, and each week you'll hear why one source is better than the other. I prefer to use the powder as an addition to a shake (e.g. spinach, banana, peanut butter, ice, milk and protein powder). In that use, I don't think it matters as much which brand you buy. That being said, I know it's not considered a "hard core" powder, but I think Muscle Milk tastes the best.

Are you planning to use it pre- or post-workout source of protein or as a meal replacement?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.