Daytona 500

aussiephil

Earnhart jr. might as well have boobs:: cause he's got no balls.

He's been living on daddys name for way too long.

I've met both of them on many occasions and jr will never be the man the Dale SR was. Dale was the intimidator in public personna, but as a human being he was really nice and even brought us ice cream one hot day after we brought him in to the infield care center.

When helping Sr after a crash , he was apologetic for making us work,

Jr threw a punch at my partner and kicked the shit out of the ambulance because he was pissed for crashing all alone during qualifying. A tantrum expected from spoiled children.

That was one on my trips to the big red trailer after I threatened to kick the shit out of him for attacking my partner.

Earned me a fine , lets not do that again from BIG Mike .

while Jr got a big fine.$$$$$ and a serious ass chewing.

As I said , worked behind the scenes for 20 years. The best show of most race weekends, was the hauler parade on Thursday morning so that we could get them all parked in the proper order in the infield.

And all the drunk chicks flashing us poor ambulance guys.

• Like 1

I've never been a big Jr fan. I always thought Sr. was a bit of a douche too but more because he gave up Kerry for adoption so he could continue to race. Guess we all have priorities. Great stories island, it must be pretty awesome to work the tracks. I used to do standbys for races out in Bridgehampton. Got to watch motorcycles, Porches and Land Rovers race.

We used to go out to bridgehampton a couple times a year for NY region SCCA nationals. We were working the corners as flaggers.

Lots of fun except for the fine sand in every crevice.

Actually working the big events was a lot of work and very long hours. We worked from sunday to sunday and averaged 18 hrs / day for the week..

A town of 5500 locals , becomes a city of 125,000 for a few days twice a year. when the redneck express rolls into town. Took a lot of managing to provide All prehospital care for that many folks and provide the on track and grandstand coverage , along with a couple thousand acres of camping grounds 24 /7. We had two resource hospitals , one to the north and the big trauma center to the south in Concord.

At times we could have as many as 20 trucks on the road at the same time shuttling PT's to one or the other hospitals.

If you need to learn IV starts. work the grandstand aid station. We would start an average of 200 per day for the July event with all the dehydrated "customers" who had been consuming alcohol only for 5 days.. We used to call that position the shooting gallery,send all the mew intermediates and medics there to get practice. Then there was

Always the dreaded call of "whale down in row 50. Arrive to find the roving crews working a 400 pounder up in row 50 and no way to get him to an elevator..

We did work the GP in 77 &78. Still have the T-shirts somewhere. We used to take the ferry over from Bridgeport to avoid the traffic down into the city and back out the LIE.

Was expensive but saved about 4 hours stuck in friday night rush hour . We lived in the Hartford /Springfield area at the time.

Had friends that lived a couple miles from the track and that became the crash house/ party central for all the flaggers. from around New England.

You were there a few years before I was then. We did the standbys in the mid 90s. The whiny people around the area complained every weekend and we'd see Southampton Town PD roll in and give the head honchos the noise complaint ticket. It's a shame it got shut down eventually.

Then there was Always the dreaded call of "whale down in row 50. Arrive to find the roving crews working a 400 pounder up in row 50 and no way to get him to an elevator..

PLEASE tell me you didn't actually say "Whale Down" over your radio comm links. While I'm not THAT overweight, and have never been to a car race (other than the Long Island "Distressway" during Rush Hour), I have been known to pack along a scanner to listen in to whatever area's emergency services sectors.

Yes richard: We did use the code word "whale down" when we encountered a pt over 350 lbs up in the grandstands. It started 2 additional teams so that we ended up with a minimum of 6-8 EMS providers along with a backboard and all the code gear in addition to the 3 man crew from the initial BLS response.

Trying to bring someone that large down 50 rows of seats was an easy way for our crews to get hurt. we're talking a five story climb up to pt and then a five story climb back down with the pt on a board.

We were using encrypted radios , so no one was listening in to our internal transmissions.

We also had track radios that everyone could hear, so we didn't use them much. Only to respond to security or guest services calling for one of our 20 teams for help.

You were there a few years before I was then. We did the standbys in the mid 90s. The whiny people around the area complained every weekend and we'd see Southampton Town PD roll in and give the head honchos the noise complaint ticket. It's a shame it got shut down eventually.

We were there in the mid 80's when the locals started the noise ordinance crap.

What a shame that a bunch of newcomers can force a place like the Bridge to shut down so they can develop expensive estate homesites.

I always wondered what people thought was going to happen when they purchased a house next to a race track, airport, etc. I once got the ambulance stuck in the dirt coming out of the last turn and had to red flag the race so we could get a tow truck out there. It wasn't one of my shinning moments.

• Like 1