Daytona 500

aussiephil

Well my american friends, all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Another bastion of Americandom, one of those Mom & Pop, apple pie things has fallen to the might of the Aussies.

Yes, the Daytona 500.

With an American driver the Chevrolet SS, Made in aussieland has kicked ass.

God help you all, what will be next? an aussie in the NBA, too late, the NFL, too late......

http://www.holdenmotorsport.com/news/2013/02/25/holden-vf-commodore-wins-daytona-500

I'll give her credit, she ran a good race. I'm just sick of the hype. She is an average driver who they are treating like the next Earnhardt. Her attitude when she first came over left a poor impression for me. It's one thing to have a big mouth if you can back it up (ie Kyle Bush) but when you shoot your mouth off like she did and your only win was due to lucky fuel mileage gamble, it just rubs me the wrong way. I'll give her a chance since I think last season humbled her a bit.

Who is to say that the next Daytona/Indy 500 winning vehicle won't be based on the VW "Bug"? I won't, but I wouldn't rule it out, either. All automotive engineers are still at the drawing boards.

Blame the hype on the nascar management & owners.

They have been seeing lackluster attendance in recent years and are hoping Danica will make the wives and kids want to attend the races.

In case you haven't figured it out::: nascar is simply about the money. If they could get a hundred thousand folks to show up without them running any races , they would. It's all about getting those folks to the nascar concessions and spending lots of money.

I worked at a major motorsports venue for over 20 years and have seen all the behind the scenes stuff that makes nascar, Indycar ,IMSA & SCCA racing function.

Every nascar team has multiple concession trailers in the park selling all their team branded gear. Bring the kids down and get an autographed hat for $30.00 along with a genuine drivers suit for your 4 kids at $150.00 each and a genuine team look alike jacket for the wife @ $300.00. After you spend upwards of $75-100 each for a ticket to get into the park, it's easy to spend a grand or more over the course of the weekend.

Ownership or control of the majority of the tracks directly by ISC / The France family is key job # 1 along with padding their bank accounts along the way.

Yes I have been called into the big red trailer for a chat with the boss a couple of times over the years.

Edited by island emt

I'll give her credit, she ran a good race. I'm just sick of the hype. She is an average driver who they are treating like the next Earnhardt. Her attitude when she first came over left a poor impression for me. It's one thing to have a big mouth if you can back it up (ie Kyle Bush) but when you shoot your mouth off like she did and your only win was due to lucky fuel mileage gamble, it just rubs me the wrong way. I'll give her a chance since I think last season humbled her a bit.

If Earnhardt only had boobs ....

If Earnhardt only had boobs ....

I thought that might be pretty hot. Then I realized that if he had boobs but still had the mustache he would look like a great number of ER pts and he stopped being hot.

I thought that might be pretty hot. Then I realized that if he had boobs but still had the mustache he would look like a great number of ER pts and he stopped being hot.

If he did have boobs he would never get to the track, just sit around the house and play with them. :punk:

• Like 1