Atrial vs Ventricular origin of wide complex tachycardia

Kaisu

Quite some time ago, I posted about a patient with episodes of a wide complex tachycardia and how difficult it was to determine the origin of the tachycardia. I found this on a facebook posting by a medic practicing in the Philippines.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/119/24/e592.full

I find it quite interesting and am soliciting your comments. Have you ever used the Lewis Lead configuration? Any comments?

Thanks

• Like 1

I like to understand what's going on. Uncontrolled afib in a patient with a history of afib has me thinking differently from a patient with a new onset of vfib. I agree that the treatment protocols will have you treating both the same in regards to stable vs. unstable, medication vs electricity. Given hemodynamically stable yet symptomatic patients, I think a trial of a calcium channel blocker is indicated for the first patient before zapping them, whereas the second patient is getting amoidarone or possibly electricity first.(it depends). This has to to with sustainability of the first rhythm as opposed to the highly unsustainable vfib.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I like to know everything I feasibly can about what is going on with the patient, and in my simple mind, knowing where the dysrhythmia is originating is valuable information.

Smart people correct me. I always like to learn.

Edited by Kaisu

Did that make you feel better kiwi?........:-)

Nah I was being a little bit smug :D

I like to understand what's going on. Uncontrolled afib in a patient with a history of afib has me thinking differently from a patient with a new onset of vfib. I agree that the treatment protocols will have you treating both the same in regards to stable vs. unstable, medication vs electricity. Given hemodynamically stable yet symptomatic patients, I think a trial of a calcium channel blocker is indicated for the first patient before zapping them, whereas the second patient is getting amoidarone or possibly electricity first.(it depends). This has to to with sustainability of the first rhythm as opposed to the highly unsustainable vfib.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I like to know everything I feasibly can about what is going on with the patient, and in my simple mind, knowing where the dysrhythmia is originating is valuable information.

Smart people correct me. I always like to learn.

Nothing wrong with it but there are more important things to do if the patient is crook, get a look at the rhythm and determine that its very fast and the patient is having haemodynamic compromise and there's your sell on cardioverting him. Once you have fixed him up you can have a nosey I suppose.

Tried it on myself after I read http://sixlettervariable.blogspot.com/2011/02/highlighting-atrial-activity-on-ecg-s5.html (Christopher's blog from ems12lead), and I felt like I failed.

I tried it first without normal lead placement, and I was like "Pff.... the p-waves are small and I can see the ventricular activity big time." I then placed the leads in the normal spot to compare, and I had big time sinus arrhythmia/vagal down to a junctional rhythm I think, lol, which I confirmed by pulse palpation. It was weird... <_< That's the only time I tried it.

lewis.jpg

Edited by Aprz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.