Your dream preceptor

mobey

It's been a while since I had my last student. I try and tell people that I'm there to help them, and that the only thing that's going to get them kicked off practicum is lying to me, starting a (physical) fight with a patient, or stealing something. As long as they show an interest in improving, if they're having difficulty I'll try and get the practicum extended, but often that's up to the school and the employer. It's ultimately their attitude that's going to decide how much fun they have, and what they learn.

I don't expect students to clean trucks, restock or do station duties. I appreciate when they do them, but that's their choice. The way I see it, they've paid good money to be there, and no one's paying them, so their priority is to learn, not to be an extra EMT / Paramedtic. Most of the places I've worked have had very little downtime, but I try and use it productively. I encourage the students to write their documentation with the attendant and engage the ER staff, and see if I can find them interesting things to see in the trauma bays.

I also strongly emphasise call management. I don't care if the EMTs can't start an IV line. They'll get plenty of practice as new grads, and once they've started a few hundred they'll be good. The same thing with the medics. Missing a tube isn't going to fail someone -- but not being able to select appropriate patients for RSI, or verbalise a decent airway plan might, if the problem can't be resolved. I tell people I want to see that they can exercise judgment, lead and organise a group of providers to a specific goal (especially the paramedics). But this also comes from working in an environment where it's not uncommon to have multiple EMS units, fire resources, police all on the same scene. I don't judge someone harshly for making a mistake, I want to understand why they wanted to do something inappropriate, and whether they were making a logical decision, even if one of the premises was flawed.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this question. To be honest, there have been no students for me in a long time ! Though, when I did have a few, I just followed what was done with me. Talked for a little while, tried to determine how they would function on calls, and then take a safety nap.... But looking back at what I think was warranted from my preceptors, I'm gonna have to change methods....

When I was in school, we were moved around to different preceptors all the time. What comes to mind as lacking in those experiences is being pushed. Being pushed to take charge mostly. It was easy being a team player, going with the flow, and hoping for good reviews. What ended up happening is graduating and being placed as the primary provider on an ambulance and expected to swim. I did not fail, but it did take time to reach a point of being comfortable in that roll. Knowledge and skill practice were not deficient in my program; behaviors and leadership abilities certainly lacked in the clinical department. Though I turned out fine, being pushed would have helped my confidence level. Being moved around to different preceptors each clinical probably contributed to the lack of being pushed. With the preceptor knowing they only have to deal with me for one day, why make such an investment of time in me, for that day?

Going along with my previous statements, I do agree with rock_shoes about making carbon copies. Push me, let me figure it out, give support and you be the safety net, but let me play the leader, make the mistakes, and learn my way of dealing with situations. Certain folks are better teachers than others. Use those folks to teach, as it seems logical. Also, being exposed to fewer preceptors would have helped with developing training over shifts. Each new preceptor I never rode with always had to start from scratch in figuring me out, as did I in determining their expectations.

Edited to take out the abusive language*

Edited by Mateo_1387