"Chase" Car Specifications

yakc130

Mike, our friend the OP lists his location as "the Middle East".

What are the missions of a "chase car"?

Thanks

Good question. Chase cars are usually smaller, non-transport vehicles that carry almost everything an ambulance carries. Their purpose is to supplement resources on the scene of an incident with extra hands or medical equipment. In some places they serve as paramedic back up to EMT ambulances so that if the EMT crew determines their patient needs additional care beyond what they can provide en route the paramedic on the chase car can meet them on scene or on the way to the hospital.

I worked in a place that used BMW motorcycles as chase vehicles. It was kind of a neat concept. Although, given the geography of the area it was not very useful.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, our friend the OP lists his location as "the Middle East".

Good question. Chase cars are usually smaller, non-transport vehicles that carry almost everything an ambulance carries. Their purpose is to supplement resources on the scene of an incident with extra hands or medical equipment. In some places they serve as paramedic back up to EMT ambulances so that if the EMT crew determines their patient needs additional care beyond what they can provide en route the paramedic on the chase car can meet them on scene or on the way to the hospital.

I worked in a place that used BMW motorcycles as chase vehicles. It was kind of a neat concept. Although, given the geography of the area it was not very useful.

Yeah I saw that. I am assuming that they still have some requirements - espeically if he operates under NATO, UN or other private contractors.

Yeah I saw that. I am assuming that they still have some requirements - espeically if he operates under NATO, UN or other private contractors.

Oh no! This is the Wild, Wild, West here. They use whatever they want. You should see some of the stuff that is used as ambulances. I would say that the only body that I operate under is my employer.

Unfortunately, it's really sad. We are using locally made Type II and III squads from 2008 on E-450 chassis. We also have some left over Wheeled Coach II's and III's from 2001 and 2004. All are very ragged out, and high mileage. I was assigned to design replacement trucks. After dealing with the low sulphur fuel problem, I submitted some ideas. Since it's winter now, and we don't need to use the A/C, they feel that there is NO NEED to purchase new ambulances. :confused:

In the meantime, they came to me just before I went on leave in Jan, and asked me to design a Peds CCU truck, chase vehicles, a disaster vehicle, and a station to house it all in. :bonk: I don't mind doing this. In a way, it's fun, and interesting. It's just that these folks think that it takes only a few days to do this. They start demanding "where are the plans?" The other joke is, they think that you can just go down to your nearest Saudi-style Walmart and pick your ambulances off the shelf and take them home with you. :wtf: They don't comprehend that once the paperwork is finally signed, it will take about nine months to get a new ambulance built and shipped by sea over here.

We aren't that big of a service. We are a government hospital-based EMS service. Mostly, we are doing transfers of pts like a private outfit, BLS home/dialysis or hospital/home. Also ALS interfacility transfers, ALS medivacs from the air base to the hospital, and the 911 service for the hospital grounds, and employee compounds. Saudi Red Crescent does everything else.

As of now, we are averaging maybe 15-20 911 calls/week tops, seven medivacs/week, and 10-20 interfacility transfers/week. The bulk of the calls are the BLS private-type transfers. We have a new peds hospital slated to open sometime this year, and they are building 5,000 housing units on the one base. There is the potential for us to need to double, or triple our staff within the next five years.

It's not a bad job. It's pretty easy, and the pay is decent. Because we are losing a lot of Saudi EMT's to the Red Crescent, they are going to give us a raise within the next few months. That may also entice some more Expats to come work here. If it weren't for all the stupidity, and cronyism, it has the potential to be a pretty awesome long-term gig.

What do you need the chase car for then?

Because that's what they want.

This is not the real world. This is the "Magic Kingdom." They buy whatever they want to buy when they can finally make a decision.

One of the things is that they have many Expats from all over the world that come in and work for a few years and then leave. Everyone gives them differing ideas and opinions on stuff. So then, the Saudis spend lots of money on lots of things that they may, or may not need.

By ALS-interfacility, I mean an ALS transport from one of our satellite clinics to our main ED. Sometimes they are BLS, sometimes ALS.

Agree with most of what has been said, but I think you do need to clarify the mission of the vehicle, to help choose the right vehicle. If no mission can be defined at this point, I would probably go with an SUV that could haul at least 2 people besides you and the basic equipment to first respond to an emergency. I think you will regret a small vehicle, a cargo type van/truck with no seating capacity, but you could also be unhappy with a vehicle that is too large and drinks too much fuel. Also think about warranties and quality of the manufacturers reputation (the vehicle isnt useful if in the shop every month for repairs), and whether or not you have a repair facility near you (ie..... Mercedes makes some great vehicles, but if you dont have any place that can repair them nearby, it could be a problem)

I was unsuccessful in attempting to post some specific information, so I'll just tell you what to Google:

1) New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, item 115C.

2) New York State Department of Health,

Emergency Medical Services,

Chapter VI of Title 10 (HEALTH) of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations,

State Emergency Medical Services Code

Part 800

Emergency Medical Services

800.26 Emergency Ambulance Service Vehicle Equipment Requirements

Edited by Richard B the EMT

Doug,

What I see as your potentially biggest problem is keeping drugs and fluids at dispensable temperatures. Whatever you order it MUST have a separate (heated here in PA,
cooled in the Kingdom) cabinet that is kept at temp using a shore line when vehicle is not in use such as; roasting in the station, (unless you are
designing A/C for the bay) or sitting outside the Quickie mart (you’d love a Sheetz or a Wawa). Besides that you'll need a battery condition/charger to
maintain portable suction and defib battery levels (also batteries in transport vent and IV pump if you use).

If you do get a non-transport vehicle, and you decide to keep batteried (?) and temperature sensitive items in "go" bags, one of the things that has
to be stressed is if it becomes a run around town truck, it ALWAYS has to be stocked for use, go bags and all. Would suck if a medic met the medic responder
truck on scene and all the toys were at the station...

I’ve been playin’ the game for 37 years, any questions/comments my e-mail is pamedic113@yahoo.com

Yours to a better EMS

Matt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.