"Chase" Car Specifications

yakc130

Now that the ambulance specs are finished, my bosses,have decided that they want to order some sort of "chase" vehicle. I have never worked in, or near a service that utilized these. They don't know what they want. They are leaving it up to me to find out, and decide for them. So, if anyone has anything at all, I would appreciate it. Doesn't need to be an SUV, it can be a car. I'll take any info that I get. It will be a learning experience for me, also. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get a car. That wouldn't be prudent.

SMall SUV would be best. Most people don't equate a EMS or Fire vehicle with a car anyway.

Ford Escape or Similar would be good.

The best example of a Chase vehicle that I know of is at Johnson County Med Act in Johnson County KS in Olathe KS. Call them you can find their number at this Website www.jocoems.org they have some of the best spec'd out sprint vehicles i've ever seen.

I used to work there, not long but I did work there. These people are some of the best in the biz.

Great. Thanks.

plus they have more money to throw at them than many agencies do so you will not be hard pressed to pick and choose what you do and don't want in a sprint car.

Our intercept service is run by a hospital organization. They are using Tahoes with all the options for police interceptor. That Improves the suspension and handling and include the oil & trans coolers etc. They buy them from a dealer in Texas that specialized in police/ fire service vehicles.

Plenty of room for equipment in the rear with a cabinet built for the purpose of keeping everything secure.

They are required to have all the same equipment as an ambulance minus the stretcher and backboards here in Maine.

Our intercept service is run by a hospital organization. They are using Tahoes with all the options for police interceptor. That Improves the suspension and handling and include the oil & trans coolers etc. They buy them from a dealer in Texas that specialized in police/ fire service vehicles.

Plenty of room for equipment in the rear with a cabinet built for the purpose of keeping everything secure.

They are required to have all the same equipment as an ambulance minus the stretcher and backboards here in Maine.

BC Ambulance does the same thing. Tahoes with a full police interceptor package and a storage rack system. They're fantastic to work out of and, as evidenced by police fleets, Tahoes have excellent re-sale (ie. great cost recovery at end of service life).

Exactly. Don't reinvent the wheel. Dodge, Chev and Ford make Police versions of their SUVs and there are standard options for all of the equipment racks and emergency lights, etc.

Start with your state legal requirements. For example here in WA chase cars are legally obligated to carry all the same equipment minus a stretcher. Then consider other functions of the car, i.e. supervisor and account for that equipment. Look at the options you want inside (i.e. computer mounts, consoles, storage drawers, etc.) and see what vehicles they come standard for. It is expensive to custom make equipment.

As said, Tahoe's and Expeditions are used for this function. Their is a large selection of equipment already designed for them. A pick up with truck cap is an option as well.

We use a Ford Expediton that carries backboard, BLS kit, Oxygen, Stairchair, MCI equipment, Spare stretcher batteries for ambulance crews, and various other supervisor equipment since supervisors use them.

Cars are ok but you need to be careful how you organize it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.