Burns, burns, more burns and a few peds

Sorry, I thought you said lecture lok

You know, you are right, I did say lecture so I guess I have to take the last post back. I hate it when that happens. :bonk: I am sorry MariB. I did EMT-B online so when I thought about lecture I was actually thinking of a written presentation.

You should still be able to learn burn material pretty easy.

Edited by DFIB

A word of warning about the EMTB Registry testing. It's really, really important that you believe me when I say that everything on your test is going to go back to the A, B, Cs and scene safety/BSI.

The questions are worded in a way that makes it really easy to try and create a complicated question where there isn't one. On every question ask, "is the scene safe? Are they breathing? Is their heart beating? Do I need to do anything about any of those situations? Am I wearing gloves?" I promise you that you will rarely, and likely never, get past asking/answering those questions before your computer based testing is completed.

I choose to recert each time by retaking the NR test and each time I've come away (except for the first time) angry at the childish simplicity of the questions. It is almost unbearably attractive to try and make them into questions that would really separate those that have worked hard to become part of EMS from those that haven't, but that just simply isn't the case.

Read every single question as being as simple and straight forward as you can. Assume that every question is meant to test students that are, say, two weeks into class, and you will do fine....Trust me on this.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

MariB,

I took the NREMT-P last April and passed and I did have a couple of burns and pediatric questions. Pediatrics are a small group of calls that we get in our career, but are extremely important. Be able to understand the differences in the airways, as well as knowing drug dosages (if applicable, i.e. ALS certification), understand the common pathophys of RSV, pneumonia, Strep throat, etc. Also, be prepared for any question.

Burns are also a small chapter but is very important especially when looking at the Parkland formula for fluid resuscitation.

The NREMT will also use one question to look at multiple topics. They might have a child facial burn with airway compromise, this will cover not just pediatrics but trauma, airway, and breathing. If you are taking the computer adaptive test, and you get alot of pediatric questions with a various range of sections in each question, they are either double checking your knowledge on multple questions to verify competency, or testing the water.

Overall, just stay relaxed!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.