Medic Dead, One hurt in Indianapolis Crash

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A car collided with an ambulance early Saturday morning in downtown Indianapolis, leaving one of the medics inside dead and the other severely injured.

Police said the ambulance was not on an emergency run when the accident happened, shortly after 3:30 a.m. at an intersection near the Indiana Statehouse. Police said the ambulance had the right of way because it had a flashing yellow traffic signal, while the traffic signal for the car was flashing red.

Watch Video

Police spokeswoman Sgt. Linda Jackson said the impact caused the ambulance to roll onto its side and slide into an unoccupied parked vehicle, trapping both medics inside. Firefighters pried both victims out of the wreckage and they were taken to nearby Wishard Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

Public safety officials identified the medic who died as Tim McCormick, 24, an Eagle Scout from New York who attended St. Lawrence University. McCormick, who lived in the Indianapolis suburb of Greenwood, was driving the ambulance, officials said.

The other medic who was in the ambulance was hospitalized in critical condition with severe head injuries, officials said a news conference. That medic's name was not released.

No one else was in the ambulance. Both medics were wearing seatbelts, police said.

The car's driver was taken to the hospital for a blood test, which is routine in such accidents.

Public Safety Director Troy Riggs said McCormick's death is the first known line-of-duty death of an emergency services worker in the city's history. He said medics, police and firefighters are a family.

"Today a member of that family is missing," Riggs said. He said McCormick's death will be handled like that of a police officer or firefighter.

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard said in a statement that McCormick's death was "a terrible loss."

This is just absolutely terrible news.

I saw this on Facebook at work and I was thinking about this on the way home, my last patient tonight was sick, like he was going to die without us sick, he was really crook, we fixed him up (mad props to my R50) and I got off 20 minutes late but we felt like a million bucks then we were doing clean up I remember about this and now I feel really sad.

I suppose because it's Indianapolis and not some random nameless department where at best I've passed through the city or something random like that, never had the pleasure of meeting Tim, only met one crew from B Shift, but still ...

My heartfelt condolences to Tim, his family, B shift and entire IEMS family .. may something good come out of this.

Fire Control from Medic 302, we'll be out of service, gotta go attend to the flag

• 2 weeks later...

From the Indy newspaper today:

INDIANAPOLIS - Prosecutors will not file criminal charges against the driver in the ambulance crash that killed two Indianapolis EMTs.

Cody Medley, 22, of Indianapolis, and Tim McCormick, 24, of Greenwood, were fatally injured in the Feb. 16 crash at St. Clair Street and Senate Avenue involving their ambulance and another vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle, Jade Hammer, 21, survived the crash.

So it seems like the district attorney places no value on the lives of two EMS employees killed as a result of the actions of a young driver with alcohol on board that ran a red light and hit their ambulance broadside.

SHAME ON YOU !

now if the ambulance had hit the car and the other driver was killed , then charges would be filed and heads would roll. Talk about a double standard!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.