MFR Bag

benasack2000

@ Ruff. I have added things like ophthalmic antibiotics and steroids to the kit along with a suture kit. A couple of catches with extra firearms, fishing poles and knick knacks.

I also recently added a atlas and a manual with sketches of gadgets and devices I might want to build when the zombies are away. I started thinking how dependent we are on GPS so I added maps.

Ok, I can tell you right now you do not need the sharps container.

And you are not qualified to give any meds.

Get rid of the Otc meds. When will Tylenol or advil be appropriate for you to give?

Aspirin, maybe. Are you under any medical direction that allows you to do so?

Edited by MariB

im not giving meds. Im not under medical direction to DO SO. The "patient" will request it and ill "assist in its administration". Ill "advise" the "patient with chest pains" to take an aspirin

lets see Sharps Container

used epi pens

bloody glass shards

needles a paramedic used but his sharps container is in the truck

And you will open yourself up to a lawsuit for practicing medicine without a license.

The state WILL come down on you and hammer you for unlicensed practice. You will not be covered by good samaritan laws.

Edited by island emt

Yeah, even suggesting stuff like this is out of line. Used epi-pens should go with EMS to the hospital for disposal, you should not be handling shards of glass at a scene, and a paramedic never leaves their sharps container in the unit. Everywhere I have worked had a small one in the jump bag that goes with the paramedic everywhere.

What will you do with your sharps container once it is full?

I applaud your enthusiasm, really I do, but you are opening yourself up to a huge legal problem in the future. Go take EMT-B, volunteer at a station with medical command and protocols. I'm really not trying to discourage you and no one here is attacking you. We've all been in this profession for a very long time and know what we're talking about.

I really hope you reconsider carrying this bag around and instead leave it in your garage or in your house and hope no one ever notices it.

im not giving meds. Im not under medical direction to DO SO. The "patient" will request it and ill "assist in its administration". Ill "advise" the "patient with chest pains" to take an aspirin

lets see Sharps Container

used epi pens

bloody glass shards

needles a paramedic used but his sharps container is in the truck

Ok, patients can request from you all they want, but do you know the contraindications? Do you known that giving someone aspirin or advil when they need surgery, have a stroke, or an aneurysm is going to get you needing a lawyer?

Also you may not assist in medications without medical direction. It is AGAINST THE LAW.

Advising? Unfortunately, you are unsure what the contraindications are so please, please, do NOT advise..

Also. Paramedics and EMTs who have use any needles (we use epi pens and lancets.) Dispose of them on our own..

Id suggest getting rid of all the OTC meds, Sharps container . And half the gloves. Get rid of the biohazard bag as any clean up will not be done by you. It will save a lot of room.

Consider adding a blanket.

Also, an IV and tubing work great for flushing out an eye.

• Like 1

un

Hey guys. Im an MFR

Let's start at the beginning. You're an MFR, which I'm guessing is a Medical First Responder. Good start, but as you don't have any geographic area posted, as I'm in New York City, none of us can do anything but guess what your "Scope Of Practice" is. We're from many countries on this site, and in some countries, my status as an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic would translate to that of a First Responder. In other countries, a Paramedic might be on the same level as a Physician's Assistant in my home town.

I'm in agreement with most of the postings saying you don't need half of the gloves, unless your intent is to supply a bunch of First Responders at a scene (incidentally, I'll take a few XL gloves, please).

As an EMT-B in New York State, USA, I'm allowed to administer Oxygen, baby asprin, albuterol, and soon some pre-loaded autoinjector meds. My Paramedics have a longer list of medications and narcotics they can administer, both on standing orders, and after an OLMC (On Line Medical Control) authorization ("Mother/Father, may I...") I only know of a few Paramedics who carry their own drugs with them while off duty. I, myself, while I have a "kit" in my car, don't carry any meds, even asprin.

The cell phone to call 9-1-1, 9-9-9, 1-1-9, or whatever the emergency number to the Public Safety Answering Point, is always a good idea. Someone sees a person working a streetside call, they presume in error that the "system has been already activated, because someone's already on the scene". Even if you do stop to help, call it in first. Some (or at least myself) refer to this as "Elevator Button Syndrome", exemplified by a bunch of people waiting for the elevator, but all think someone else pushed the button when nobody has. With my ambulance, I've stumbled onto streetside calls, where everyone is asking me why I took so long to get there, yet there's no record of the call "in the system", until I put it over the radio as a flagdown.

As for carrying a "sharps container"? Prior to that, you might want to find where, when full, you are allowed to dispose of it. I know, as I have a gallon sized plastic milk bottle, full of injector pen mini-needles used for my personal medical administrations, and am not allowed to dispose of them at my Firehouse/EMS station, as the department pays by the pound for "Red Bag" disposal services.

Other than that, the bag seems to be well thought out.

I now make an often repeated request of you, Benasack2000. Please avoid acronyms and initials, as they might mean different things to different people., Spell it out, unless someone else on the string already has. One EMT of my acquaintance is also an accountant, and put up an ad for Electronic Data Processing, which she posted as "EDP Service". EDP also means Emotionally Disturbed Person, so you can imagine the laughter.

We prefer laughing WITH other EMT City dwellers, rather than AT.

WELCOME ABOARD EMT CITY!