Looking into becoming an RT

FireEMT2009

Well, I have been looking into furthering my education, and I understand that some of the stuff we do as Paramedics, mimics what an RT does. And not to mention, the airway/respiratory/circulation system has always amazed me and I would like to continue my knowledge.

My question to ya'll is, would my experience as a Paramedic assist me in RT school? and what ya'lls opinion on transferring from NREMT-P to RRT?

Thanks for any opinions,

FireEMT2009

I would suggest go shadowing a RT. Depending on the hospital it can be very mundane and boring. Basically going around giving nebs, treatments, setting up cpap/bipap, etc. while other RTs are in the ICU with vents, drawing ABGs, and responding to codes.

RT Training can do nothing but make you a better provider. How many calls do you run that have an respiratory component to them? I'd bet that 35% of them do. The better you understand the respiratory system the better you understand your patients respiratory issues.

2nd, Most respiratory therapists I know, I said most, are pretty good at intubating patients and I've worked with quite a few. You want to have a RT on your truck.

Why do you think that many critical care transport teams (pediatric especially) have a RT(who may also be a medic) on board rather than a paramedic? I'll let you sit and stew on that one.

Just food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be hard to do RRT online. The minimum RRT entry into practice is an AAS from an accredited programme. Even as a nurse with many years of experience, I had to do the entire two years of school plus I had to do additional chemistry and take a physics and computer operation class.