Start EMT Basic Course

EMT_Moni

:wave: I just joined this site and this is my first post.

My name is Monica and I am located in Atlanta, Georgia. I am to start my EMT-B course at the end of the month.

My questions:

what was it like during classroom sessions and clinical? Did volunteering help? what methods did you use to retain the information? what were the questions like on the NREMT?

I am open to any advice and/or pointers. I am really excited.

• Like 1

Classroom sessions for me were a mix of lecture and hands on practice. Some class sessions were more lecture than practice. Some class sessions were more practice than lecture. A good program will offer a mix of the two.

Clinicals will depend on where you are. Much of it will probably be spent in observation but if you're respectful to your preceptors during your ride alongs and ask appropriate questions (e.g. "Can I do that?" when it comes to taking vitals) you can probably start getting some hands on practice.

What kind of volunteering time do you mean? In a hospital? Maybe not. Belonging to a volunteer rescue squad? Perhaps. It depends on the squad. It doesn't hurt to start the process if that's something you think will help you.

Questions on the Registry test are designed to test your knowledge, reasoning and critical thinking skills. Study your material, read your text, participate in class and you should be ok.

What did I do to retain information in EMT class? I studied. I read the text. If I had questions I asked them. What works for one person isn't going to work for everyone. Find your method and stick with it.

Enjoy your class.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mike summed it all up. I did allot of studying. I did my workbook that was provided I even wrote out the vocabulary, because I had no prior medical terminology experience I was a Volly Fireman going through EMT school, and I don't think it really made a difference. Maybe if I was a member of an Ambulance Association.

I am an ambulance driver running as a third and other times I run as a fourth (student) does volunteering help? Um, no. Truth be told, you will see other EMTs bad habits, their way of doing things that may or may not follow the way you are being taught etc. However, the experience can be nice and make you more comfortable.

As for class, I am on my last 2 chapters. Its been fun. Find what works for you. I read, then re-read and highlight, then note what I highlighted. I have ADD and need to write it down.

all or our test are from the NR test bank. Be prepared, they are a little trickier than straightforward questions, you can find samples online..

Clinicals, I chose two hospitals, one had an ALS squad and I worked the ER until a call and the other was a trauma center. I didn't like the trauma center. I stood in a corner and watched. They were too busy for students and made it clear. Easily had 200 patients in 12 hours..

I elected not to have them completely sign me off, which they would have signed anything and go back to the other hospital where I did all the assessments, all the 12 leads. All the discharge vitals and had the ambulance on standby. A bit of both. I

I will miss my class. Its been a lot of fun. I hope to start medic next year, but we will see about funding. In the mean time, im getting the book and pr-reading and taking notes on it during the year to help.