Blizzard "Nemo"?

Richard B the EMT

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully by now they are out and all is well. Pat/Med schools are closed for another day and some of the roads are bumpy as hell.

Yep:: thats a serious snowblower. Lots of folks up north have them.

Back when I was in the Navy we had to maintain the runways at the Naval air station in readiness condition 24/7 no matter what mother nature dumped on us.

We had 5 large Walter snowfighters with a 12 foot wide by 5 ft tall blower on the front power by a 450 hp diesel. Those sucka's could throw a two foot snowfall halfway into the next county

Which NAS was that? The "Weekend Warriors" flying A4 Skyhawks buzzed my house regularly doing "Touch and Go" practice at Floyd Bennett Field/NAS Brooklyn, NY, a few miles from my house. The field is now, from 1972, I think, the command area of the Gateway National Recreation Area, and I live 1/2 mile from the Riis Park/Fort Tilden sections

Richard:

BNAS used to be here in Brunswick Maine. Opened as a WWII training base for allied pilots and was closed by dubya when Maine didn't vote for him in his first term. For several decades it was home to the Navy's subhunter P-2 & P-3 orions.

The logic behind closing it was to save 400 million dollars over the next ten years.

Yet when they moved all the squadrons to Florida, [ home of governor Jeb Bush], they spent over a billion dollars to buy florida real estate, so they could build all new buildings to house them.

Last operational active duty military airbase in New England.

Gone are all the SAC bases, & All the Navy Airbases.

Some have been repurposed as civilian airfields and a few have reservist squadrons left.