Blizzard "Nemo"?

Richard B the EMT

In the musical "Paint Your Wagon", there's a song mentioning there's a name for wind, rain and fire. Most know the Hurricane/Tropical Storm that hit my area was called "Super Storm Sandy".

Now, as a blizzard approaches the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut "Tri-State" area, I'm suddenly hearing the storm being called "Nemo".

Nemo was a Clownfish in a Disney cartoon, another Nemo was the captain of the submarine Nautilis in Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".

1) When did the infamous "they" start naming winter storms?

2) Presuming they named winter storms alphabetically, as they do Hurricanes and Typhoons, what happened to the names from "A" to "M"?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Weather Channel thing and the National Weather Service is neither on board with this nor agrees with the practice. If I remember correctly the NWS has even asked the Weather Channel to knock it off.

Yes. They started with A names and proceed through the alphabet.

A little over a foot of fluffy powder so far today, with the real beef of the storm expected to arrive here in the next 4 hours and rage all night & into tomorrow afternoon. Been sitting right at 10 degrees F all day.

I offered to send this to Boston. Their response was rather non-commital....I don't think they believed I was serious.

Actually, their comment was "Thanks, we could probably use it!" but this was yesterday and likely difficult to arrange shipping.

Edited by Arctickat