Hello. So where are you a EMT or medic?

Firefighter01

Sorry, I stand corrected, physician assistant.

As far as my attitude. My comment was about the 2am toothache, 2 cars in driveway. I have compassion for all my patients that are ill or injured. I even respond to the "regulars" because sooner or later it may the real.

Sorry I have offended all of the grammer experts on this site. I thought this was a place to learn and share experiences. Bless your pea picking hearts.

I do not base my motivation on the patients chief complaint, nature of illness nor MOI. Equality of treatment, attitude and care for the patients is a key component of professionalism. I may fail in my endeavor to provide consistent, compassionate care to all patients, but I try not to fail.

Well, not for me. Sorry but for me, toothaches, skin rashes, "ran out of pain meds" should not be the focus of EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES. Before you say it, I know a toothache can be a possible sign of a MI. But our patients have them all day and about 2am they can't stand it anymore and they think a trip to the emergency department in an ambulance is the best course of action.

If I wanted to be a primary care tech I could have become a nurse, an nurse practitioner or a physicians assistant.

Band Aid, it's known as progress. If you want to be considered more than an ambulance driver you have to do more than drive an ambulance. The push is on for the concept of EMS to go the way of the dodo. Nowdays, many ambulance services across the world have adopted a Mobile Health Services model. EMS is only one component of this service. If any of my medics were to tell me "I went to school to do emergency calls, not to provide post surgical wound care/wellness checks/diabetes education/vital signs checks/medication compliance checks...."well, you get it. My response would be, there's the door, the choice is yours to use it.

• Like 3

having started out in the business as an ambulance attendant back in 71 and moved up through the food chain to being a chief of the service in my semi retirement gig, there have been many changes along the way. I remember when we went to being radio dispatched , so we didn't have to find a pay phone to get our next call.

how many of you youngsters here have ever seen a pay phone??? We have come a long way from load & go, to providing definitive care on scene.

I am a fervent believer in community paramedicine as a way for us to provide better service for our customers , and to help keep them in their homes while avoiding needless emergency room visits for a problem that could have been taken care of in their home by a qualified paramedic

Lowering costs across the board while helping our patients and neighbors stay healthier.

All good points, but it will take some convincing for me to believe that EMS should be involved for the toothache at 2am with 2 cars in the driveway because " its not that bad, and i would take my wife to hospital, but i didn't want to wake the children up" there is a point where we should stop absolving adults of the responsibility of being adults

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.