What is your favorite shift food

MikeEMT

Ok, we all have our guilty vices for food choices on shift. Most likely it isn't healthy and its usually greasy and is a "comfort food". So what are some of your favorites?

Here in Seattle, it is common for bars to put out hot dog carts on weekends and game days. One of these bars in pioneer square puts out a cart that serves bagel dogs. Its a foot long kosher beef dog on a warm bagel bun slathered in cream cheese and grilled onions. Add mustard and relish and hmmmmmm.

Healthy or not, we all have our guilty food cravings. Lets hear them.

After one particular call I will not eat hot dogs.

For work I'll make food and take it with me. It's healthier, cheaper and I know what I'm getting.

That is true, but there are no places in your jurisdiction where you have the occasional indulgence? A fruits and veggies life gets boring after awhile.

One of the things I like about working in Seattle is the diversity of people and food I get to eat. I work graves so not much is open. I do SSM so making most healthy meals are out as I can't properly refrigerate or cook in an ambulance.

I enjoy grabbing a bagel dog and chatting with the locals down in pioneer square. Good PR, and you get to meet some people other than those on a call.

I am sure I am not the only ambulance that has a local favorite food that I like to get at work.

That is true, but there are no places in your jurisdiction where you have the occasional indulgence?

Nope. There are not.

A fruits and veggies life gets boring after awhile.

Perhaps. But I don't feel like crap after eating it like I do with eating... well... other stuff.

I work graves so not much is open. I do SSM so making most healthy meals are out as I can't properly refrigerate or cook in an ambulance.

Cooler?

You have my sympathies on working a SSM job. That sucks.

I have yet to find a cooler that will keep food cold enough to satisfy me yet is small enough to fit on our ambulance. Though I am looking.

I am obsessive about food safety and quality. I don't normally frequent "street vendors" However this particular guy is part of a brick and mortar restaurant that has a very good reputation. Besides he only uses Kosher ingredients and cooks the food right in front of you. Its hot and fresh.

I prefer to eat decent meals, but after a stressful call I turn to a bagel dog. Some turn to beer.

My squad and I enjoy the Pita Pit.

Pitas stuffed with anything you want, Fresh veggies, mmmmmmm I always get the prime rib Pita with sauteed Onions and mushrooms. Top it with fresh Guacamoli, lettuce, hot peppers, tomatoes and sprouts!

They sell a very nice 12 volt plug in cooler at most auto stores or camper places that will keep your food @ 38f . not much bigger than a 12 pack of canned beverages. They cost in the neighborhood of $35.00. Ought to be able to find room to store that in the ambulance. Unless your sitting in a parking lot in a type II van. We have one in our ambulance for chilling fluids.