New EMT applying for jobs

tarheel

So I'm a new EMT and I'm applying to a few companies. My only concern is the ambulance drivers license. I have a terrible past as a young adult with tickets. And I was just rear-ended last month due to a guy on the phone. I even have a friend who has an unpaid ticket on record. What will happen when we need to get our ambulance license? Will it be possible?

• Like 1

Where are you located?

I don't think traffic violations will affect you gettting your license, but it will affect you being hired due to the insurance not wanting you on the policy. Usually being rear-ended isn't your fault so that shouldn't affect anything.

Most services will require you to submit a driver abstract which would include a list of traffic violations and possibly insurance damages you are responsible for. A speeding ticket here or there or the minor fender bender are typically overlooked. What is more important is if the potential employer can determine that you regret the violations or not.

How many tickets in what period of time?

minor speeding[10 over] or criminal speed[20+ over}? Driving to endanger? OUI/DWI?

How long since the last moving violation?

That will decide whether or not you can be insured by a carrier.

• Like 1

You don't always need an Ambulance drivers license to get hired. One Ambulance company that I emailed said that they don't require one to hire. I am not sure if that means that they don't allow you to drive and only ride in the back or they do allow you to drive without one.

Edited by Trm90

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.