LBGT (GAYS) in EMS

mikeymedic1984

Still going to the adult store with the tinted windows across the strip mall from the Hooters on Fulton are we Emergentologist?

Didn't notice that blacked out van taking up three disability parks in the Dominos lot across the street did you?

Kiwi, PI is where its at :D

Kiwi, doc said that one closed down. You are WAY WAY behind the times.

• Like 1

I just tried to sort that out for my setting. And found out that I don't know much about sexual orientations of my coworkers, if I don't happen to know their significant others or their facebook status. One of them is gay and a normal medic (not the best, not the worst). He doesn't make a big story out of his private life. I guess, more than 80% of the others don't know his preferences. Another EMT was my best friends girl friend, then open lesbian for a while and now is pregnant. :) No problem with that. But, reality is, I really don't care. From most I even don't know their loved partners or if they have one/more, let alone their secrets. It simply isn't of interest.

Someone offensive annoying me or patients with personal problems/opinions will get some form of treatment, which would depend on situation. That already has taken place. However, never for sexual orientation reasons.

The interesting question if someone would refuse transport because of me or my partner? We would try to find a solution, maybe switch positions if possible, but getting another ambulance would be out of scope - at least I can't make up a situation where that would be really necessary. If they're able to argue about beeing treated and transported by a specific team, they're obviously healthy enough not to be treated and transported at all (when age/psych issues are ruled out)...just sign here, if needed call again, we'll be back.

In retrospective, I had some muslim female patients, no problem with them, even if I had to examine abdomen and/or chests. Professionality, staying calm and respectful surely helps. And it's possible to reduce examinations to the bare minimum. As always, a good medic should be able to adapt to a situation.