LBGT (GAYS) in EMS

mikeymedic1984

After the comments of the dumb 49ers defensive player (football for those who do not care about sports) this week, I thought it might be a good time to ask this question: I think we have all had a gay male or lesbian female partner by now, but would your organization hire a transvestite, and would you work with him/her if they did ? Be honest !!!!!!

Define transvestite !!!

My understanding of the term is a tranny is a male or female who cross dresses to the other genders apparel.

If they are working in EMS then they would be required to wear the same uniform as everyone else. Hence they are not going to be cross dressing at work.

Yes I have worked with gay men, gay women, straight men and straight women and a few that we were never really sure which gender they were.

• Like 1

Yes.

Would you work with a black person if you had the choice? would you work with a Hispanic? As Kate said if they can do the job they are fine.

Edited by PattonEMT

Define transvestite !!!

My understanding of the term is a tranny is a male or female who cross dresses to the other genders apparel.

If they are working in EMS then they would be required to wear the same uniform as everyone else. Hence they are not going to be cross dressing at work.

Yes I have worked with gay men, gay women, straight men and straight women and a few that we were never really sure which gender they were.

"Tranny" is typically considered a pejorative slang term for either a transgender/transsexual individual or a transvestite.

I've only heard the term tranny used as a self descriptor for a preoperative individual prior to gender reassignment. A transvestite/crossdresser is either gay or straight and wears the clothing of the opposite gender. In my experience, a transgender would be quite offended if a cross dresser were to be referred to as such.

• Like 1

Very much a difference between a tranny and a transvestite! Lol. Transgender, gender neutral, dude who wears makeup, chick who binds, etc. etc.... as long as they adhere to corporate dress code and treat patients with respect and their care doesn't suck, welcome aboard!

I'm a very open minded person. I don't care who you sleep with (or want to sleep with), what gender you identify with, what chromosomes you have, what parts you have/want... you're a person, and that's all that matters... as long as your partner of choice is of consenting age, have at!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

actually, I don't believe the question is so simple. Having worked in Trinidad Colorado I've been exposed to many that were living as opposite genders prior to surgery, and very often their passability is far from ideal. Garish makeup, terrible, unstyled wigs, etc. much of what we do is provide comfort, yet being in a place where I was expected to pretend that a man dressed as a woman from a comedy or horror show as unnoticeable made me uncomfortable. Should patients be forced to perform the same mental and emotional gymnastics? I don't think so. My heart hurts for these people, but it hurts also for those too small, handicapped, or injured to do the job, so should they then too be allowed to work in EMS based on my wish that everyone would be allowed to make a living in any way that they choose?

I've worked with gay and lesbians, and currently work on a project populated by 37 nationalities, so it will be tough to make a sentence of bigot or repressive stick to me I think....

If one is passable, then I see no issues, if not, then I see no way to claim that they can truly do the job, as a patient advocate, based simply on their ability to lift as much, or push the same drugs as another....right?