Are EMT's covered by insurance

jsd67

Takes about 9 months to a year for somebody to complete the National Diploma in Ambulance Practice and get the required clinical experience to challenge for Authority to Practice as an Emergency Medical Technician here in New Zed ... and yet you say it takes 9 months like its a bad thing?

no not bad except we need EMTs really badly , actually already certified would be great!

I would, but I doubt that any here would want to take a 75% pay cut. :)

or more like *cough100%volunteersquadcoughcoughcough* Edited by MariB

Usually the lawyers go after everybody they can, kind of the " shotgun " approach. They are looking for whoever has the deepest pockets. Contrary to popular belief most lawyers are not really interested in going to court. Thier bread and butter is the " out of court settlement " . But don't be decieved most services would throw all of us under the bus to save themselves. It is a sad commentary on our profesion but it is the truth. Be careful of malpractice policies as again if this policy makes you the " deepest pocke " it can make you a target. the best policy is always do your best to do what is best for your patient within your scope of practice and protocol. I have been in EMS for 29 years and have been to court 3 times. I have never been the litigant but I have seen people get ripped, funny thing 2 of the three were involving non patient care ( driving accidents ) so just do what you think is right again within your scope of practce and protocol. The fact is things will go wrong, that is the very nature of our job, something has already gone wrong thats why we are called, but it is more difficult than you think to lose litigation. anyone can be sued for anything these days. to win a lawyer has to prove 1) there was an obvious mistake made that someone of equal trainig and experience would not have made 2) you were solely responsible for this mistake ( ie varying from protocol or scope of practice ) and finally that 3) harm was done by you to the patient. So be vigilant about your protocols, stay within your scope of practice and relax and do your job. But if it makes you feel better get a malpractice policy they are not expensive and available thru vendors you can find in most EMS magasines.... Hope I helped

• Like 1

to win a lawyer has to prove 1) there was an obvious mistake made that someone of equal trainig and experience would not have made 2) you were solely responsible for this mistake ( ie varying from protocol or scope of practice ) and finally that 3) harm was done by you to the patient.

1)Name you in any lawsuit involving a dead or deformed baby regardless of how perfect your care was as long as you were within 2 miles of the ambulance that day.

There, I fixed it for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.