JRCALC 2006 Ped drug dosages

I`ve been reviewing drug calculations for pediatrics for UK paramedics based on the JRcalc 2006 and am confused!..drug calcualtions do not seem to be made by weight but each drug has a specific dosage for each year of age and month of age in the first year of life......how are paramedics supposed to remember them without a formula.....any thoughts from UK paramedics?

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't had broslow tapes on our trucks/cars for years in SECAMB. We just use our JRCALC pocket books. The doses are based on an average weight. We used to use age + 4 x 2 and I still do if I'm caught out. This is rare as I have my own paeds laminated cards in my top pocket. Apparently the new guidelines will be out soon and should contain dexamethasone for croup.

I eagerly await the new JRCALC guidelines, maybe they'll look a little less like what we had 20 years ago this time :)

such as.........?

When did you guys get antibiotics for meningococcal septicaemia?

Steroids for asthma?

Oh and EZ-IO (inc LA) for conscious/unco kids.

And why is everyone waiting for new JRCALC guidelines? It's just the basis of UK standard of care. Each service has their own extras. And it's paramedic level. ECP/PP/CCP is a whole different level.

I think we can often develop a sort of ethnocentric point of view in EMS where we tend to view our way as being superior. From my n=1 experiences working outside of the United States, I've come to realise every country has things I like and things I don't necessarily like. The arguments here often revolve around educational levels, but I've found what people consider a level of education in one country is quite different in another country. For example, when comparing my AAS in nursing with a South African colleague who had a BSN, I found that I had much more experience in mathematics and physical sciences but she had much more clinical experience while in school. Which is better? Going back to my thread on education, I thinks it's difficult to quantify amount of education and provider competency. As I stated earlier, every country has benefits and pitfalls.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.