I need good stories

scubanurse

Hey guys... As y'all know I'm finishing up nursing school in about 15 weeks (yay)...

I'm doing a project for my ped's class on drunk driving. I know everyone out here as run a few of these over the years... if you could, could you please send me some photos or even just a story about a significant or interesting drunk driving story.

I'm putting together a power point and hoping to really make an impact on the high school kids I'm presenting to. It is an inner city High School with a pretty high risk population.

Thanks guys :)

• Like 1

Hi Kate,

May I suggest a visual aid for their impressionable teenage minds. Something light and friendly that will help them remember what happens to people when two cars collide at high speed.

If I was you....I'd get a dozen cornish game hens, let them thaw in the sun for 3 days, then squirt catsup and tabasco sauce inside them, and fill balloons with a raunchy Maddog 20/20 wine & stuff those inside the bird carcass.

To simulate a windshield, set up some panes of glass, right in front of the kids. If they seem to be drifting off, or you just wanna make a point, throw one of those birds, and I mean a rocket, right through the glass. Throw some stinky wine balloons at the kids too.

I find that yelling, "This is what happens when you and your underage shit for brains friends get drunk and get behind the wheel of a car!" makes some kids vomit....which is better than applause.

A loud audio of babies screaming really adds something special to the presentation.

That's what I'd do......just a suggestion.....

Send me your email address and I might be able to send you a more conventional story of drunk driving.

the Brits have a couple of teen driving PSA'a that are very graphic and moving. They are out there on the web.

I showed some of them to a basic class I taught a couple years ago and got good reviews from the kids.

Went to an MVA and a man was obviously drunk. We took him to the hospital. On the way I noticed how he was about to shower himself in his own puke, so I did a patient roll towards to the emt-b's and they got the privilege to get some on their clothes. You know, don't want his airway being restricted. :shifty:

No offense to the emt-b's out there! It's actually a game the emt's and us paramedics play down here. If the patient looks like he or she is about to vomit who ever gets to them first can do the pt roll towards the other. :) It's also not your textbook perfect roll, but we're not aggressive with them. They are usually out of it and boarded/collared.

Luckily the county gives paramedics jumpsuits and bunker gear, so it's a smaller mess to clean up off of us if we're wearing one of the two; needless to say emt's aren't as lucky.

Personally the best stories I have is from schooling. Nothing too exciting down here.. Just your average hemorrhaging calls that by the time you get there the bleeding has already stopped, and cardiac arrest calls.

1) Ask your local PD or junk yard if they can tow a wreck over to the high school and leave it on display for a few days.

Make sure it is a wreck that was involved in DUI.

2) If they can't tow the wreck, take photos of it while at the junk yard, see if you can get a couple of practice dummies (even a couple of students may work), with moulage, and pose them within the wreck. This way the class may recognize some if the "models" and realize how lives would change in losing a friend to DUI. (just a lil shock and awe).

Don't laugh too hard, we did something similar to #1 on a military installation about 40 years ago. We has the wreck posted at the main entrance to the base.

• Like 1

That is a part of an entirely different program called Every 15 minutes and/or Alive at 25. I have been part of those programs for the last 6 years. This is an hour presentation to a high school science class. Thanks for the help!!

Went to an MVA and a man was obviously drunk. We took him to the hospital. On the way I noticed how he was about to shower himself in his own puke, so I did a patient roll towards to the emt-b's and they got the privilege to get some on their clothes. You know, don't want his airway being restricted. :shifty:

No offense to the emt-b's out there! It's actually a game the emt's and us paramedics play down here. If the patient looks like he or she is about to vomit who ever gets to them first can do the pt roll towards the other. :) It's also not your textbook perfect roll, but we're not aggressive with them. They are usually out of it and boarded/collared.

And your organisation doesn't write you up for that? Intentionally attempting to expose a co-worker to potentially contaminated

fluids is a dangerous and disrespectful practise. I'm sure that OSHA would have something to say about it as well. If I ever caught someone in my company doing that they'd be facing a suspension without pay at the minimum. i won't even go into what is wrong with patient care when doing that because i'll have to steal some of Kiwi's valiumz to calm down...and he won't share.

Honestly Emily, I'm disappointed, I thought you were better than that.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 3

It's justifiable. In my agency's protocols if a patient shows signs of emesis we have to do a patient roll, ideally to the right side. Unless if you can prove it was for entertainment reasons then the report isn't going to get far. If one gets caught causing harm to a patient or another during transport for entertainment (yet to happen) or for other reasons depending on other factors the least case scenario is a two or three week administrative leave; worst case is being let go. That has yet to happen either. Also doing a patient roll isn't harming the patient if needed. On your side the liquids/solids tend to fall out on the gurney and floor, which is the point when one is vomiting. Worst thing is it gets on your shows and lower/mid parts of your pants. It's also not like we're laughing when we do it; but one may whisper to the other after releasing the patient to the hospital while doing paperwork "I got a point" or something along those lines.

Hopefully clears it all up. I have also been a medic for 6 1/2 years, I promise I know what I am doing.

Edited by PattonEMT

You're missing the point, Emily. You're intentionally exposing your partner/coworkers to contaminated fluids. It's one thing to do the right thing and protect a patient's airway from their own episodic vomiting. It's another thing altogether to direct it at someone in particular and make a game out of it.

You're admitting here, on a public forum, that you do it for entertainment purposes. You've posted your picture, enough of your name and location to figure out who and where you are. Your employers don't need a run report to figure this out. You've just publicly admitted to it.

Do the right thing for your patient, yes. But also do the right thing for your partners/coworkers. Lead by example. Patient care is not a game. One would think that after six years in that would be a lesson learned.

• Like 2

I really don't need to explain myself but here we go again. I'm going to re-edit so its shorter. Please understand #1 and #3 as clear as possible.

1.Once again as I said it gets on their shoes or lower/midnight part of pants. Its not the biggest decon ever; easy clean and change.

2. If you wish call my agency and report it, feel free. If you would like I will give you my directors and supervisors personal numbers and you can call them.

3. Before attempting to do #2 understand it's protocol to put the patient on his or hers side. Either way it will get on the rigs floor and either the emt or medics lower pants and boots. Once again I will say it again: Either way the medic or emt may get some on them.

4. Also understanding before attempting #2 there's no official score, we don't treat any patient as a game.

5. I will follow protocol, regardless. If it changes then I will stop and if I see someone do it I will report it.

Thanks.

Edited by PattonEMT