Finally Officially starting EMT school this week.

NewJerseyEMT

I'm officially starting EMT school this week. It's been something that I've really wanted to get accomplished over the past year or so. I'm glad that it's finally gonna happen though. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Congratulations! Yes, it's very exciting! Keep us updated on what's going on, and if you have any questions...you're in the right place.

Study, study, study! And then study some more!

Remember EMS is a hands on sport.

When you get to things like evaluating a PT or bandaging , splinting , immobilization.

Don't be the clown standing at the back of the room watching. Get into the middle of it. get down and do it. Volunteer to be the pt or the equipment runner. GET INVOLVED!

It may seem like a simple thing, but every class has a couple of folks that don't want to get down & play.

Remember EMS is a hands on sport.

When you get to things like evaluating a PT or bandaging , splinting , immobilization.

Don't be the clown standing at the back of the room watching. Get into the middle of it. get down and do it. Volunteer to be the pt or the equipment runner. GET INVOLVED!

It may seem like a simple thing, but every class has a couple of folks that don't want to get down & play.

And sad as that seems, those folks are still called EMT's

Ask questions. Give feedback to those who are teaching and precepting you. Learn to be a part of a hands on team. Know that you are going to see things that can tear you apart and learn good coping mechanisms from the start.

And sad as that seems, those folks are still called EMT's

Thats not always a bad thing. I was one of those students who stayed in the back. Not because I was shy or scared but because I am a take charge kind of guy. When I was in the police academy I had a lot of students complain because I was always doing the skill and not giving them a chance or I was always the lead.

I went into EMT school being fully aware of this and vowing to change and not hog it all. I stayed in back and let the others have their shot at playing.

Don't assume that just because someone stands in the back they are shy or refusing to participate.

I never assume anything Mike. I'm just saying that many of those who I went to school with or have taught in subsequent classes who were wallflowers didn't make it through the EMT Exams. Why??? they didn't have the hands on practice that they so desperately needed to pass the test and then they came and complained about why they didn't pass the test.

Others passed the test barely or had to re-test some parts which they would not have had to do had they not have sat on the sidelines and put more effort into their education and got more practice.

I'm not saying that you can't pass the class and get your emt licensure by refusing to participate and be a wallflower, I'm just saying the odds are not in your favor.

• Like 1

I think Mike might be the exception to the rule, since he had police training prior to the EMT course. But if the other students didn't like him trying to be the best he can be...so sorry, lead, follow or get the f**K outta my way.

For all students though, I agree with islandEMT, you don't get good being a spectator. Do your skills again and again, and then do it again while prioritizing the next 10 things you need to do...even though someone is screaming at the top of their lungs. It's also nice to throw in something that smells...off the charts..just awful. Oh hey, do all that when you have to pee like a race horse!

In trauma surgery we were always told, "See one, do one, teach one." Of course it doesn't always go quite like that, but you do need to be aggressive.