EMT-B study tips

Arzel T

About oral exams? Circa 1975, we had a man assigned my crew at the VAC. Agency policies held that all "riding crews" be minimually trained to American Red Cross First Aid level, and we tried to have some period on all tours used for training, so I handed him a copy of our "Ops Guide" for him to study.

Both of us were embarrassed, when he handed it back, and told me, he was unable to read, claiming his mother had exerted control over him by not allowing him to go to school.

Our VAC Vice President of Business, who was also an ARC first aid and CPR instructor, used his own time to read him the ARC textbook, and gave him the First Aider's test orally. My guy was so happy when the VP issued him the First Aider's card.

We also had, for a brief time, a blind dispatcher. The way it was handled, initial dispatch was by someone on the crew, and then the man would keep times on paper in braille, which we'd transcribe into the logbook on return to base. By his choice, he left after about 2 months. (Damn, but his guide dog had flatulance problems, and noisily so!)

• Like 1