EMT-B study tips

Arzel T

I think you hit the nail on the head Mari. If you don't test well but still pass the test and you know the material but you have some sort of test anxiety and do poorly on the testing but can recite the material in a non test environment then that's completely understandable.

I have multiple friends who tested terribly but if you asked them about the material they had it down pat.

I had to gear my testing in my classes when I taught to their testing style because we knew that they tested terribly. We usually gave them oral tests and they aced the tests. Were the tests we gave them easy, hell no, they were usually harder than the written tests, scenario based mainly but also question and answer based. I usually asked them to justify their answer and they had no problem doing so.

Often times they were dyslexic or had learning disabilities so we were required to give them a different style test and I am no where near an expert in how to test a dyslexic or someone with a learning disability so we had people from a community college who specialized in these types of learning disabilities come in and helped us test these students. Most were actually smarter than the students who didn't have learning disabilities.

Dyslexics tend to fare well if the instructor provides an oral exam. As do others with reading disabilities. They are also auditory learners and find it difficult to impossible to learn from a book. I've altered my teaching style accordingly. Fortunately, in this day and age we have audio books that can help these folks through the lion's share of the reading.

I think you hit the nail on the head Mari. If you don't test well but still pass the test and you know the material but you have some sort of test anxiety and do poorly on the testing but can recite the material in a non test environment then that's completely understandable. I have multiple friends who tested terribly but if you asked them about the material they had it down pat. I had to gear my testing in my classes when I taught to their testing style because we knew that they tested terribly. We usually gave them oral tests and they aced the tests. Were the tests we gave them easy, hell no, they were usually harder than the written tests, scenario based mainly but also question and answer based. I usually asked them to justify their answer and they had no problem doing so. Often times they were dyslexic or had learning disabilities so we were required to give them a different style test and I am no where near an expert in how to test a dyslexic or someone with a learning disability so we had people from a community college who specialized in these types of learning disabilities come in and helped us test these students. Most were actually smarter than the students who didn't have learning disabilities.
This is definatly a problem with some people. I know a teacher, who teaches special education, she studied all through college, hours on end. Very bright woman, but she admits she doesn't test well. She found her love teaching special education and is teaching children to cope in stressful situations, testing, being called on, reading in class etc. She is a very successful teacher and an asset to the district, but she had to try and try hard. She had to give it her best. She eventually graduated with honors. If you really want something, it is worth working hard for. I know I may study more than the average for EMT, but I enjoy studying. It is therapeutic to me and it makes me feel comfortable knowing I have it down. I am also ADD. It helps me absorb information. Yes I can read a chapter and ace the quiz after, but it wont stay in my mind for the modules. I have always had to work harder in school, study more to stay ahead. I know I will be ready for paramedic when time comes, I will have the habits I need. It has been years since I have been in school.

Dyslexics tend to fare well if the instructor provides an oral exam. As do others with reading disabilities. They are also auditory learners and find it difficult to impossible to learn from a book. I've altered my teaching style accordingly. Fortunately, in this day and age we have audio books that can help these folks through the lion's share of the reading.
unfortunately, our program no longer allows this. Our instructor was upset by this and in the past was able to do this. I have gotten to know my classmates very well. We spend a lot of time together. I believe we are a very bright bunch of students, but we do have a few who will freely admit they aren't taking it very seriously and they will admit it has come back to bite them in the rear recently. It has frustrated the head instructor as you can imagine.

Really? Oral exams aren't allowed for the disabled? Isn't the school concerned about the Persons with Disabilities Act, or whatever it's called there?
I don't know, one of the rules was we must be able to read, write and test in plain English and oral testing is not allowed. Maybe because the big final test is the National Registry. Do they provide oral testing?

I am not nationally registered so I don't know what accomodations that the registry offers in their testing but if your school offered the accomodations in the past then I'm pretty sure they might be obligated to offer them now. One big lawsuit by a disabled student might just close your schools doors and that would not be a good thing for your school. They might want to reconsider. But I'm sure they have taken it all into consideration, yeah I'm sure they have, yeah, forward thinking that most schools are. (dripping with sarcasm)

I am not nationally registered so I don't know what accomodations that the registry offers in their testing but if your school offered the accomodations in the past then I'm pretty sure they might be obligated to offer them now. One big lawsuit by a disabled student might just close your schools doors and that would not be a good thing for your school. They might want to reconsider. But I'm sure they have taken it all into consideration, yeah I'm sure they have, yeah, forward thinking that most schools are. (dripping with sarcasm)
I really couldn't tell ya. I am not 100% sure as to why, but it is a rule, not handed down by the school itself, but by the program overseen by wherever it based out of. I have no idea.

I'd be surprised that someone hasn't invoked a ADA claim. But maybe they have and the school is in their rights to do it that way. Either or it doesn't affect me so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.