EMT-B study tips

Arzel T

I am studying my butt off, not because I find the material particularly hard, but because when I'm on my my own, I want to provide my patients with the best care possible. I see people in my class reading the chapter fast before class, or trying to get by with just the lecture and think to myself "Would I want them working on my family? " give it your best. Peoples lives will be in your hands. I am on a volunteer squad. I am obviously not doing it for the money. I will be pursuing my paramedic, again not for the money, but will be doing all I can for my patients.

I want to provide my patients with the best care possible. I see people in my class reading the chapter fast before class, or trying to get by with just the lecture and think to myself "Would I want them working on my family? "

Unless you know these students, don't put down the student reading the chapter just before class. They may be re-reading, as a self-imposed review. Also, study comes easy to some, so all they need, after reading the chapter while out of your view, is the lecture (wish I was one of them guys).

Mari, I was one of those people who could read the chapter once and retained 90% of the info in that chapter in EMT class. Medic was a different story. I scored 95% and higher on all my chapter quizzes. I did not have to retake a single test. I also scored a very high score on my state written test (back in my day we didn't have the registry). So I would read the chapter one time during the week and then once prior to the test the day of the test.

I did very well in EMT class. Not to toot my own horn but yes you would want me working on your family. That mindset is pretty high and mighty if you ask me but I do see your point overall though. Most of those who do just read the chapter once do very poorly. But don't judge those who read the chapters prior to class because you would be judging me unfairly and putting me in a bucket that I don't belong to as well as about 5 others in my class as well.

I've taught emt's and you put about 10% of students in a bucket unfairly when you judge them that way as well in each class.

But I really do see your point as I've seen those students come into class who have just studied the chapter in the last hour or so and expect to do well and they don't. But there are those who will do spectacularly on the tests and yes I do want them working on my family because they do know their stuff.

Just because you don't learn that way doesn't mean that others do not.

Do I want the student who consistently "studies her butt off and does not do well in class" working on my family, if I applied your logic, then I would not want them working on my family either. So where's the happy medium.

Unless you know these students, don't put down the student reading the chapter just before class. They may be re-reading, as a self-imposed review. Also, study comes easy to some, so all they need, after reading the chapter while out of your view, is the lecture (wish I was one of them guys).

No, they admit if they had just studied, or read the chapter, maybe they would have passed the test etc.

Mari, I was one of those people who could read the chapter once and retained 90% of the info in that chapter in EMT class. Medic was a different story. I scored 95% and higher on all my chapter quizzes. I did not have to retake a single test. I also scored a very high score on my state written test (back in my day we didn't have the registry). So I would read the chapter one time during the week and then once prior to the test the day of the test.

I did very well in EMT class. Not to toot my own horn but yes you would want me working on your family. That mindset is pretty high and mighty if you ask me but I do see your point overall though. Most of those who do just read the chapter once do very poorly. But don't judge those who read the chapters prior to class because you would be judging me unfairly and putting me in a bucket that I don't belong to as well as about 5 others in my class as well.

I've taught emt's and you put about 10% of students in a bucket unfairly when you judge them that way as well in each class.

But I really do see your point as I've seen those students come into class who have just studied the chapter in the last hour or so and expect to do well and they don't. But there are those who will do spectacularly on the tests and yes I do want them working on my family because they do know their stuff.

Just because you don't learn that way doesn't mean that others do not.

Do I want the student who consistently "studies her butt off and does not do well in class" working on my family, if I applied your logic, then I would not want them working on my family either. So where's the happy medium.

I am thrilled you did well! However, I was not judging you.

lucky for us, we are a tight group and all get along well but the constant joke is "if I had read the chapter, or had I actually studied, I would know that."

I had a gal laugh at me and ask me if I had a life because I took notes. She said she likes to drink too much to study. :blink: I actually responded with "no, I dont have a life. I am a mom, wife, student and work full time. What life?"

I can learn by just reading a chapter just fine and admit last week, I did do a fast read. I scored 100% on my quiz, BUT the next day, I did go back and re-read my chapter taking an outline of notes for further reference. I take notes that I can come back too before my NR test.

As for the ones who study their butts off and do poorly on tests, they will likely not go that far depending on the program. The NR? Forget it.

The Happy medium will be found with the National Registry. The ones who went through it fast and COULDN"T retain the information will learn a hard lesson, and unfortunatly, the ones who studied like crazy and didn't do well, will be weeded out also. Sadly some people just don't test well, but that is the breaks I guess.

The ones that can retain the information, great! I just refuse to do it that way as I will at times possibly have to run with just a driver, I need to have this burned into my brain.

My daughter is in this program with me, does she take notes? nope, does she study hard? No ! She knows her stuff though. The difference is, she is well into her second year of nursing school. This is review to her, but she does read it carefully.

Our program is strict. You have so many chances. We have several module exams. You can only fail a set number. However once you fail, you have one chance to retest and pass. You first score is still recorded and kept, but a pass is needed to go on in the program. If you fail it again, you are out.

If this happens 4 times, you have 3 chances to retake and pass, the fourth time you are out.

If you miss more than four classes, you are out.

Our program is 9 months long and we have passed the half way mark which means our progress is now up for review by the programs medical director. He will be reviewing test scores, quiz scores and the instructors review and he will decide who stays.

I would rather my review be "studies hard, takes notes and scores high on tests" than be "doesn't take class seriously, skims pages in class and does poorly on quizzes"

I was not judging you, or anyone who can retain knowledge by reading alone. This is not what I am speaking about

I elaborated more in my response. We are a small group, good girls and guys so we all get along well, but yes they will joke about how they have never actually opened their book.

One of them is a friend of mine who has just said to me they need to start taking this more seriously as they are not doing well.

In an attempt to understand where you're coming from, Mari, are you speaking from your experience as a current EMT student who has not yet taken any Registry test? Or do you have an extensive background in education that you're withholding from us?

Don't worry about the students who are failing taking care of your family...they'll weed out of the program.

Your comments struck a cord with me as well. I've always been the kind of student that can pay attention in class and do very well. I'm a few weeks away from finishing nursing school and still have straight A's yet I very rarely spend much time outside of class and when I'm tutoring my classmates.

Broad generalizations aren't fair and should be avoided...on another note, where is your daughter in school? Second year of associates or BSN?

I have a bunch of friends from Iowa and one of them is looking at possibly going to nursing school.

Oh and I don't think I cracked my basic book until studying for my state exam...it is possible to pass basic on lecture alone, if it was a good lecturer.

In an attempt to understand where you're coming from, Mari, are you speaking from your experience as a current EMT student who has not yet taken any Registry test? Or do you have an extensive background in education that you're withholding from us?

Both. We all speak openly about our grades and what not.Our tests are all based off past registry exam questions.And some, but would depend on your idea of extensive. :)Needless to say, the ones who took offense probably shouldn't have as it was meant as encouragement for one to do their best and was echoing the words of my instructor on the first day of class with the quote of "would you want them working on your family" I could mention the education of the lead instructor, but we only really saw him on the first day of class but i can assure you, his education passed mine up by years when he started signing PhD.

Don't worry about the students who are failing taking care of your family...they'll weed out of the program. Your comments struck a cord with me as well. I've always been the kind of student that can pay attention in class and do very well. I'm a few weeks away from finishing nursing school and still have straight A's yet I very rarely spend much time outside of class and when I'm tutoring my classmates. Broad generalizations aren't fair and should be avoided...on another note, where is your daughter in school? Second year of associates or BSN? I have a bunch of friends from Iowa and one of them is looking at possibly going to nursing school.Oh and I don't think I cracked my basic book until studying for my state exam...it is possible to pass basic on lecture alone, if it was a good lecturer.
Don't let my words of encouragement to one, offend you. Some people are lucky, others are not. My daughter will graduate in 2015 with her BSN. She got all her pr-nursing done in a partnership program in Highschool. So most of her prerequisites were done before leaving Highschool. Iowa has a few really good schools with great nursing programs as im sure most states do, but im very impressed with the program she is in Edited by MariB

All here know what they call the people with the lowest passing scores on the EMT, Paramedic, and Nursing class final exams, dontcha? They call them EMTs, Paramedics, and Nurses. While that's a LOL, it's also the case.

I know, over the many years I've been in the EMS systems (date back to 1973), of many high scorers who have no real heart in what they do, and low scorers who are some of the most dedicated EMTs, Paramedics, and (FDNY EMS) Lieutenants and Captains one could work with, or be supervised by. I've left out the Chiefs, because they serve at the discretion of the FDNY Chiefs of Department and the Commissioner, none of which are medically trained beyond Certified First Responder-Defibrillator..

All here know what they call the people with the lowest passing scores on the EMT, Paramedic, and Nursing class final exams, dontcha? They call them EMTs, Paramedics, and Nurses. While that's a LOL, it's also the case. I know, over the many years I've been in the EMS systems (date back to 1973), of many high scorers who have no real heart in what they do, and low scorers who are some of the most dedicated EMTs, Paramedics, and (FDNY EMS) Lieutenants and Captains one could work with, or be supervised by. I've left out the Chiefs, because they serve at the discretion of the FDNY Chiefs of Department and the Commissioner, none of which are medically trained beyond Certified First Responder-Defibrillator..
I think having your heart in the right place and being the best you can be is more important than high scores on tests. Some people don't test well. I personally believe, my opinion only, it is worth your best effort.