EMT-B study tips

Arzel T

Hey everyone. I just started my EMT-B class last Monday. We are using the Emergency care and transport of the sick and injured by Andrew N. Pollak. Anyone have any good study tips especially with this book? Anyone else use this book or is using this book for the course?

No experience with this book specifically... Don't miss class, pay attention, and keep an open mind.

Best of luck to you!!

Thank you for the advice. Yeah we really can't miss class because its 2 times a week at 5 hours each so its a lot of credit hours to miss in just one class. Its kind of hard for me to pay attention right now because I have taken all of the medical assisting classes at my college so all the the basics (Medical ethics, HIPPA, OSHA, hand washing ect) I already know but I am trying to review the information as the rest of the class is learning it. I want to be a paramedic and 99% of my class is firefighters/ people who want to be firefighters, there is one 50 year old woman just looking to find a job, a 18 year old wanting to do the same and me the only person in the class who wants to be strickly medical.

Listen to your instructor stay focused and read the chapter and read it again, Do not be afraid to ask questions if there is something you do not understand, the instructor cant eat you. Get a good study buddy, studying with a friend from class often gives you a new out look on things.

Best of luck to you on your education and keep on going with your education the sky is the limit,

When I started, back in 1973, we used that book's first edition. We also used the "Brady" book, "Emergency Care", also then in first edition. We differentiated as, respectfully, the "Orange" book, and the "Yellow" Book. There are also other book cover colors that get used, from different publishers and agencies.

Just remember, here in EMT City, we're from all over the world. Standard operating procedures and protocols in one area would be considered "outside of scope of practice" in the next. For example, "A-EMTs (advanced)" in Nassau County, NY are allowed to start IVs, but less than a quarter mile from one FD/EMS station near the county line, as "A-EMT" doesn't exist in Queens County, NY, they'd just be considered "EMT-B", so if an IV were started in Queens by a Nassau Countyu A-EMT, they'd be nailed by the State Department of Health. Indeed, EMT-B personnel, statewide, are not even allowed to transport a patient with an IV, per DoH protocols.

If you have a question that sounds foolish, ask the instructor(s) during breaks, or after class. Just try to avoid "...but what if..." questions, as there are so many variables there, they drive instructors crazy (trust me, I've been "that" student, and not been called on for straight-up questions).

Thank you for the advice. Yeah we really can't miss class because its 2 times a week at 5 hours each so its a lot of credit hours to miss in just one class. Its kind of hard for me to pay attention right now because I have taken all of the medical assisting classes at my college so all the the basics (Medical ethics, HIPPA, OSHA, hand washing ect) I already know but I am trying to review the information as the rest of the class is learning it. I want to be a paramedic and 99% of my class is firefighters/ people who want to be firefighters, there is one 50 year old woman just looking to find a job, a 18 year old wanting to do the same and me the only person in the class who wants to be strickly medical.

so you'll ace the basics but then again, EMT is the basics so buck up butter cup and (joking) and start paying attention.

Put all the medical assisting class stuff out of your head and start fresh with this class.

it's like when you get to medic school, put the emt stuff out of your head and put the medic stuff in.

But start paying attention, medical assisting isn't like EMT.

Well, now is the time to buckle down. Our module tests are based off Past NR test questions. They will throw you for a bit of a loop. Be prepared for the trick questioning and narrowing it down.

So you have a head start, great! Use it to your advantage. Read carefully, Take notes and shoot for an amazing goal. Try to ace the registry. The more you challange yourself, the harder you will work.

post-46231-0-57701200-1358909360_thumb.j

Edited by MariB