Blood Lancet Devices

Arctickat

10 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of finger lancet do you use?

• I use the reloadable pen style spring loaded lancet
    • I use the disposable single use lancet.

I just stumbled across some information and thought I'd check with you folks. What procedure do you follow when using a lancet to acquire a capillary blood sample? Do you have single use disposable devices or do you have the reloadable pen style?

We use a one time disposable type. Don't know the brand off the top of my head. Orange plastic with a white plunger, Snap it punctures and safes the needle.

If I remember the price was $25.00 ish for 250 in a box. Get them from boundtree catalog.

There shouldn't be any use of reloadable lancets. Think Infection control. The single use lancets should be the only option according to my infection control contact.

Thanks guys. We were recently issued new glucometers by our health region that included the reloadable pen device. I challenged them on the use of the devices because the standard of practice has prohibited their use for almost a decade. They haven't responded, but I refuse to use them.

Thanks guys. We were recently issued new glucometers by our health region that included the reloadable pen device. I challenged them on the use of the devices because the standard of practice has prohibited their use for almost a decade. They haven't responded, but I refuse to use them.

Good call! They may want to look into what happened in this case: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/06/06/mb-diabetes-tests-southeast-collegiate.html

The specific details of the potential exposure aren't completely clear from the news article (it refers to a "diabetes testing pen"), but it does say:

"The device — the little pen-like device — is meant to be a single-user device. The device itself should not be shared between people," said Dr. Cheryl Rockman-Greenberg, head of the pediatrics and child health department at the university's medical school.

The lancets were changed for each person, Rockman-Greenberg said, but the professor did not realize the pen itself is not safe for use by multiple individuals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.