What kind of stethoscope do you prefer?

I have a DRG tactical puretone that I just got for a B-Day. Its all black. The tips, tubing, and bells are all black. Looks cool and works great. I have also had a Littman Cardio 3. Liked it but only problem I found was the short tubing. The cheapo Spragues are ok for a personal jumpkit in your vehicle that you rarely use.

Any idea where it was purchased? I'm looking for a puretone tactical and the only place I can find one is www.rangerjoes.com, which isn't known for outstanding prices. Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea where it was purchased? I'm looking for a puretone tactical and the only place I can find one is www.rangerjoes.com, which isn't known for outstanding prices. Thanks!

RangerJoes is indeed known to be a bit pricey on gear. But, believe it or not, that is one of the better prices I have seen for that stethoscope! Seems like most places want over $100 for it, with quite a few asking the same as RangerJoes. But a quick Google search brought up these two places that have it a tad bit cheaper:

http://www.nursesuniformsandshoes.com/shop...p?productid=550 $79.96

https://www.universalmedicalinc.com/umi/ind...il/PT15B27_6011 $81.60

• I cannot honestly say that I have ever had any experience with this particular stethoscope. It does have some desirable features, other than simply being solid black and looking "tactical." However, it also has some particularly undesirable features too. It is a dual head, and it is a single lumen. Ideally, those characteristics would be reversed for optimum noise reduction and tone conduction. But, of course, that is why it costs half of what a Littmann Master Cardiology (available in solid black) costs too.

When it comes down to it, almost any stethoscope over $40 bucks is overkill for a field EMT or medic. Studies show over and over that it really makes no difference, except for the ego.

I have one that was included in my course for Nursing Assistant. It's a "Prestige Medical" whatever and whoever the heck they are, dual tubing and dual headed. The thing KILLS my ears and hurts like hell. I've always had trouble hearing with it, but always wrote it off as inexperience. Then the thing got wet, I can't even find MY heart beat on it. Would that have ruined it for good? Not sure how far the water got into it, but if it's that bad, could that be the problem?

I would love to spend money on one that's worth it, but that's just not the financial world that I live in right now(!)....what would be recommended for half the price of a Littman? Of course it won't be as good, but as others have said, as long I can hear what I need to....

I have the tactical all-black Littmann Master Cardiology... I am also hard of hearing, so I have added 6.5 ET tubes to the exposed part of the headset... It works wonders. As for cost- it was tactically acquired from my old roommate... :-P jk he gave it to me when he got a new one.

Not that this is of importance, but I also had a dog tag (a real one engraved at petco) made with my name, number and company on it. It won't stop people from stealing it if they really want it, but it will at least help those who aren't klepto's return it to me safely.

Ashley... "LV"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.