What kind of stethoscope do you prefer?

I have been a practicing physician for almost 20 years now and have tried them all. I have been using the Ultrascope exclusively for the last ten years. the sound quality and durability is unmatched, and it is a real bargain compared to the Littmann Cardiology series and their ilk. In a noisy environment, my money is on the Ultrascope. Everyone who has to borrow my ears to listen to a patient inevitably asks, "What kind of scope is that? Where can I get one?"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Littman Classic II SE. Its served me well in the past years.

I've been eyeballing that one in the catalog. What's interesting to me about is that it has a tunable diaphragm on one side, and also a bell on the other. The tunable diaphragm would seem to obviate the need for a bell. I'm curious, which side do you usually use for low-frequency sounds? Do you find that the bell works better for low-frequency than the diaphragm in "bell mode?"

On a separate note, I'm also curious about how important dual-lumen is versus single. The cheap scopes we keep in the rigs are double-lumen, the so-called Spraque type. I notice the very expensive Littmans are double-lumen. There's only one chestpiece though, so I'm not sure why two lumens would be an advantage. I wish I had a bunch of different scopes available to try out, but I don't. Maybe I'll get a chance to try some different models at the Michigan EMS Expo next month.

• 1 month later...

I'm also a big fan of ADC (American Diagnostic Corp.). I like their 609 model, and it runs about 20 bucks. I plan on buying one, but I've used a friends, and one of the ambulance's jump bags have one. I've been able to hear everything with these.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My previous Littmann was recently stolen after 7 years of good use as a paramedic, so I guess it's time to get a new one. I'm now in med school, and everyone tells me to go with the Cardiology III, but I'm still a half-time active paramedic and pretty sure I'll never use the second diaphragm enough to justify carrying the thing around on calls... Never did with the one that was stolen, anyway. So I'm basically trying to decide between the STC and the Master Cardiology - they cost almost the same, seem to have the same acoustics, thus leaving only the shape of the head open to debate. So anyone have any experience with them in the field?

(And guys, lets assume I've read this entire thread, so there's no reason to go back to the "I use a 10$ stethoscope and it's great" discussions)

Is it me or does the sight of someone with a stethoscope wrapped around their neck in Dunkin Donuts make you want to punch them, even if it is a thousand dollar Littmann.

I still to this day don't understand carrying a stethoscope around you neck. If anyone can clarify this behvior, I am all ears. :o

I have been doing this for while and never once have I said shit, I wish I had a stethoscope, while I am getting my F'n coffee.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.