Public Relations, you're doing it wrong

ERDoc

Sorry Craig, I can't go with your analogy. There are laws prohibiting such sexual assaults. There is no such thing as implied consent for sexual relations. However, there is no law (here) regarding video taping on a public street and the courts have already set the precedent that an individual in a public place can not have expectation of privacy. They can be photographed and video taped and those images can be published online without their consent. The legal challenges on Google streetview are a good example.

Once again, I refer to a call I was on.

A woman was removed from the scene of a fire, where she had burns under heavy copper bracelets. LEO Emergency Services crew was removing the bracelets with a K12 saw, which generated a bunch of sparks (which were flying up against the main O2 compartment). A freelance videographer (this was before both cameras in phones, and cell phones both became common) was actually standing just outside the doorway of the ambulance.

I tapped the videographer on the shoulder, and said to him, "You've got freedom of the press to photograph, but I want to give my patient the benefit of some privacy. Can we reach some kind of compromise?"

He smiled, nodded to the affirmative, and backed off a few yards from the ambulance, while continuing to tape.

This chief should have asked the press corps to back off to afford the patient some semblance of privacy, not shoved the camera, or covered the lens. Of course, all we're doing here is "Monday Morning Quarterbacking".

Public place means no expectation of privacy. It's unfortunate, but the law is what it is. I think that people deserve more dignity and respect from the media than what they probably get oftentimes, but at the same time I can't condone lashing out against someone who isn't breaking any laws, especially when there are other ways to protect the patient's privacy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.